PDA

View Full Version : Need some lighting suggestions. One part new and part replacement

biggredd
02/10/2007, 08:18 PM
I have a 125 g, 6 foot tank. I have about 150/160 #'s of rock. Decent amount of soft corals and a large anemone, no stony corals or plans to really except a monti (if thats a stony). I have 3 175 w MH's, not sure what brightness (k). I've been running my tank now for 8 months on mh's only, 8 hours a day. No additional lights. A fellow reefer gave me a couple of T-5 ballasts and light fixures. One half day/half actinic and one regular full day light buble. I put the half actinic (71") bulb in. It looks great seeing the additional spectrums now and being able to have have lights on in the tank for more than 8 hours. I'm not really sure I want to put the full day light bulb in. So I have a couple of questions.

My MH's need to be replaced. I've had one suggestion for 20k's and one for 10k's from experience reefers. Any thoughts? 175 watt.

For outside of MH hours should I add a full actinic for my other T5 light? So one full actinic and one half act/half day light? or should I probably run the full day light and the half and half.

Just trying to figure out the right combo of mh and actinic recommendations.

Thanks.

bertoni
02/10/2007, 09:15 PM
I use the Iwasaki 15,000 K bulbs. They are white, not blue, but I like the look. They also seem to be fairly efficient.

The T5 lighting is really a matter of personal taste. I'd just experiment some.

biggredd
02/10/2007, 09:19 PM
I don't really have money to be "experimenting". So I have to be really sure on whatever I get or I'll just have to be disappointed for a while.

RedEyeElf
02/10/2007, 10:29 PM
the stock 14000k on my sunpod is super white with a nice blue tint