PDA

View Full Version : What's best to deal with brown sand?

stephstr
02/10/2007, 09:06 PM
The sand turns brown everyday, the lights are one for 10hrs. I have 8 Turbo Grazer Snails, 3 Nassarius snails,
8 Bumble Bee Snails. I plan to add a sand star, but what else will help turn the sand and not harm reef and fish?

graveyardworm
02/10/2007, 09:13 PM
How long has the tank been set up. Brown on the sand is generally from these causes. New tank cycling, overfeeding, not enough nutrient exports.

Mariner
02/10/2007, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't necessarily recommend the sand sifting star if you are trying to keep a functioning DSB. They feed on the good micro fauna in the sandbed, and there's typically not enough of it to sustain them long-term. I had one for nearly 3 years before it starved, and I think that may be some sort of record.
I'd recommend several more Nassarius snails, several mini hermit crabs and a fighting conch.
HTH,
Mariner

Schadiest1
02/11/2007, 05:20 PM
I agree with not getting a sand sifting star. They do stir the sand bed, but will deplete it of important micro fauna. I kept one for a while until I found out it hurts more than it helps.

Grey Reefer
02/11/2007, 07:59 PM
Ditto what everyone else said. I would also get a more diversified clean up crew. A couple ceriths, a couple of astreas, and maybe few hermit crabs.

stephstr
02/12/2007, 06:40 PM
The tank is 75gal, and has been up for almost 3years

I got lazy last December and lost everything. I cleaned it all up and when it was done cycling I added a algae crew(1 Lawnmower Blenny 8 Turbo Grazer Snails,8 Bumble Bee Snails
1 Sally Lightfoot Crab,10 Red Leg Hermit Crabs,1 Electric Blue Hermit Crab), pulse 3 Nassarius snails

I already use RO water for top offs

and the lights are now set for only 8hours

I hope this helps, but I thought I could add something to help turn the sand.

n8rad
02/12/2007, 06:46 PM
conch all the way!

GobyJohnKenobi
02/12/2007, 10:15 PM
ceriths and a fighting conch

Look at your flow, maybe upping it or redirecting it a bit to keep detritus suspended and exported

stephstr
02/13/2007, 03:14 PM
I was going to get a few more Nassarius, and 2 Conchs. But I still think I need something more, "bigger". I had hoped to add my corals first and then fish. I will be on the lookout for some ceriths. Any other ideas?

Mariner
02/13/2007, 03:28 PM
Well, other "bigger" options for stirring sand would be some kind of sandsifting goby or a cucumber. I've tried neither. I've heard that the cuke's are pretty effective, but if/when they die they can really nuke your tank with toxins quickly. The gobies tend to wipe out the micro fauna in the sandbed.
FWIW,
Mariner

jmccomb420
02/26/2007, 10:55 PM
My diamond goby does a great job keeping the sand white. He only digs deep around his hole and just skims all other surfaces.

Trip 22
02/27/2007, 06:22 AM
I got a fighting conch....did the trick.

GreenBabe5
03/09/2007, 12:32 AM
i wouldn't rush to adding any more lives to the tank..most likely it's the water your neighborhood supplies in 3 years of your tank that has changed your tank so dramatically...after losing your tank......In my experience tanks Cycle over and over again more frequently in the beginnings of the new tanks (and a dead tank crashed being brought back means new) .........would mean many unexplained changes...check your water bill level as well as supplier (listed on you water bill) in most states you can acutally change suppliers without knowing it and still getting the bill from the same place because they own the "new" supply as well, changing chlorine levels and iron levels in the water you have..no matter the RO filter

cateyes
03/09/2007, 12:16 PM
a sand sifting goby will clean it up in no time...:)