PDA

View Full Version : Coralife Super Skimmer question.

oli5
02/10/2007, 10:36 PM
Hi everyone, I was just wondering about something. Is there anyway I can put the coralife super skimmer under my tank in my stand. I don't have a sump, and if I hang it on the tank it's really bulky and looks really bad. Is there anything I can do to make this happen or is this just a bad idea. Thanks.

BillyJoeJimBob
02/10/2007, 10:43 PM
I run a CSS 65 on my 20L (in fuge). IMO I think you either need to run it on your tank or add an overflow and a fuge. You could always give it a try and see if it works. I think with the head loss you will have a tough time trying to get it dialed in.

aclos3
02/10/2007, 10:47 PM
If you are thinking about having everything down below the tank, I think you have several complicated and costly issues.

1. You'd need a U-tube or other type of overflow that brings water to the pump. In the event of a power failure, it would probably siphon down, fill the skimmer and overflow it.

2. The pump of the skimmer needs to be submerged and it is large and bulky (so I assume you don't want to leave the pump in display)

3. You'd have to rig up some other sort of pump to bring the water out of the skimmer and back to the tank. The skimmer itself doesn't actually pump water out, it just flows out via gravity due to the water level inside the skimmer body being higher than the outlet pipe (simplified, but you get the idea).

Basically, it would be a lot easier (AND SAFER!) to get a 10 gallon tank, return pump, and some sort of overflow for your tank. Otherwise, I think you are pretty much stuck with Hang on back mode.

aclos3
02/10/2007, 10:49 PM
Also, how large is the display tank you are trying to run it on?

oli5
02/10/2007, 11:21 PM
75g