PDA

View Full Version : anchor worm treatment?

szwab
02/10/2007, 10:38 PM
been doing some reasearch (not much oinfo on the net) and I believe I have a tang with an anchor worm. does anyone know what the proper treatment is.

The tang has a slim growth that has gotten larger and the end has split into a v shape as it's become larger/longer. From what I have reasd it seems to be an anchor worm. I can't get a good pic but will keep trying to get a firm ID.
any help is appreciated.

thanks

bchristie
02/11/2007, 03:27 PM
A formalin bath, or series of formalin baths is usually quite effective against Lernaeids. Some also employ a mixture of formalin and malachite green (the classic Leteux-Meyer mixture) with similar efficacy. Secondary bacteial infections are common, so a medicated antibiotic feed during and after treatment may help (or go the Leteux-Meyers route). Should the formalin baths prove ineffective, you can contact a vet to get a perscription for Dimilin (Diflourobenzuron), which can be employed in a long-term bath at 0.03 ppm until the worms are gone. Hope this helps.

szwab
02/11/2007, 05:58 PM
thank you! I will give that a try. I was suprised at the small amount of info I could find.