PDA

View Full Version : upgrading tank

NJBigRed
02/10/2007, 10:57 PM
I have a 29g reef that I've had up for about a year. I want to get a larger tank, but I don't have time/space to set it up, cycle, and move everything over...

If I move everything into the larger tank (sand, LR, fish, coral, water, filters...) will there be an ammonia/trites problem?

I know I'll need more sand and lr in the larger tank, but I really don't want to have 2 tanks running full blown at the same time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Red

yoboyjdizz
02/10/2007, 11:04 PM
how big are you planning on going?

RobsReefs
02/10/2007, 11:19 PM
well if you add new rock you will get a cycle. unless it is fully cured

NJBigRed
02/10/2007, 11:58 PM
I am going to a 55 gal. I moved my current setup across town a few months ago, and things went fine. I put everything into 5 gal buckets and there was definatly some stress, but nothing worse then when i've recieved fish from online orders. I also changed out the CC bed for argonite all at once and had no probs whatsoever. I think in essence, i would be adding 20 gallons of new water, 20 pounds of new sand, and approx 20 lbs of live rock. The new rock could wait easily enough.
I bought my lr from my LFS and didnt have a cycle problem then. I'd probably be adding a good portion as base rock too, so it could be dead.

anyway, just seeing if people had experiences

thanks

Red

RobsReefs
02/11/2007, 12:15 AM
if the rock is from your lfs and is in a curing system you should be ok. if it were me I would set up the new 55 with the new rock and let it cycle or just run for 2+ weeks and do water changes as needed then go from there.

fish 511
02/11/2007, 12:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9211415#post9211415 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NJBigRed
I am going to a 55 gal. I moved my current setup across town a few months ago, and things went fine. I put everything into 5 gal buckets and there was definatly some stress, but nothing worse then when i've recieved fish from online orders. I also changed out the CC bed for argonite all at once and had no probs whatsoever. I think in essence, i would be adding 20 gallons of new water, 20 pounds of new sand, and approx 20 lbs of live rock. The new rock could wait easily enough.
I bought my lr from my LFS and didnt have a cycle problem then. I'd probably be adding a good portion as base rock too, so it could be dead.

anyway, just seeing if people had experiences

thanks

Red

I jsut changed my crushed coral base to a LSB. Wow, that was some work. I can not imagine doing that in an established tank! Whew

NJBigRed
02/11/2007, 12:36 AM
I'd love to do this completely right, and move everything into the "established" new tank, but like i said originally, i don't have the space to do that. I also want the 55 to go where the 29 is, which does require some logistical planning, but ... yeah

and yeah fish, it was some work, but boy was it worth it

NJBigRed
02/13/2007, 11:35 PM
bump