PDA

View Full Version : Water Change Ok?

shannonpayne86
02/11/2007, 06:01 AM
Hello this is my first post,
I currently have a 250 litre tank and I am currently just putting tap water in a ten litre bucket, adding salt, stirring it, adding PH buffer, stirring it and then adding some tap water conditioner and the stirring it by hand again. I then pour it into the tank, but I make sure the salt levels are ok before doing this, I dont adjust the temperature of the water at all before pouring it in. I change about 30 litres a week (around 15%). Is this method acceptable? Corals etc. don't seem o be suffering from it at all.

BadOleRoss
02/11/2007, 06:39 AM
Most of the time they recommend water circulate in a container for 24 hours or so before adding it to your tank. Some PH buffers take 24hrs before they reach their full effectiveness. You should look in an RO/DI instead of using tap water.

JohnF
02/11/2007, 07:59 AM
Using tap water is not a good idea. If you can't afford an RO unit then you should try to buy RO water from a local fish store.

Most people mix their water in a food safe container with a heater and a powerhead for circulation, and let it run for at least 24 hours to age it.