PDA

View Full Version : what is this on my frogspawn

zdawgnight
02/11/2007, 03:01 PM
this showed up just this morning im not sure about either please helphttp://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l129/zdawgnight/coral.jpg

zdawgnight
02/12/2007, 03:50 PM
can anyone help me?????

MrMexReefer
02/12/2007, 04:24 PM
not sure what im looking at, but it looks like the innards of a mushroom... sometimes, they can expell their guts, and pieces can sometimes be lost, and they float off to other parts of the tank. If it is, you should try to blow it off with a turkey baster or something, so that it can float around and stick somewhere else... then a new mushroom might form. HTH

raoul
02/12/2007, 05:16 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if euphyllia had the same type of innards as mushrooms - I've seen similar things in my scolymia while it was eating too.

Are these things attached?
Is there a mouth under it?
If not, is there an injury there?

Good luck!

Hormigaquatica
02/12/2007, 06:38 PM
Kinda tough to see, but looks like mesenterial filaments aka coral guts. They usually come through the mouth of the animal if it is stressed, feeding, etc. They can come out mid-polyp though; normally resulting from an injury. I know some corals can eject the filaments from areas away from the mouth as an aggression technique, but Im not familiar with it in Euphyllias.

chrisstie
02/12/2007, 09:43 PM
I'm by no means an expert but from my experince it looks like a wound to me. Anything go hog wild in your tank that could damage coral tissue lately?

zdawgnight
02/12/2007, 10:19 PM
nope no wounds occured but what kind of freshwater did you do??? those were my roots as well

chrisstie
02/13/2007, 12:18 AM
No to steal the thread but to answer your question a little bit of everything. I actually had a saltwater tank that was changed weekly when i was a kid and could just go down to the dock, scoop something up, then let it go before the water spoiled.

in fresh water i did whatever was pretty. oftentimes goldfish. had one that just recently passed away that was 8 years old :(

had a community tank for a while.. now i have a litlte tank that perpetuates guppies upon guppies upon guppies

zdawgnight
02/13/2007, 09:01 AM
aww you never went cichlids, thats the way to go always the best freshwater, they have a ton of personality and are some of the most beautiful freshies

raoul
02/13/2007, 10:41 AM
How is the flow around the euphyllia? Has it changed, gotten stronger? Strong flow can damage lps sometimes if it's too strong.

zdawgnight
02/13/2007, 11:43 AM
its been the same for a while nothing has changed that i have seen that could have damaged it

raoul
02/13/2007, 01:27 PM
Do you have hermits that could have crawled across it maybe? I think they've punctured a trach. brain I have once or twice.

zdawgnight
02/13/2007, 02:56 PM
nope its in my sand bed so unless it fell from heaven there is no way it looks pretty healthy i just am baffled by it

XeniaMania
02/24/2007, 02:57 AM
I'd leave it alone, my frogspawn use to do that when I first got it, I haven't seen it do that in years.