PDA

View Full Version : Pink Spotted Goby kill my firefish?

Kurt03
02/11/2007, 05:15 PM
Well i got two fish the other day to start off my 150, one is a Pink Spotted Watchman Goby and the other was a firefish.

The water has cycled with the small amount of rock that is in it for now while the rest of my diy rock cures. Water tests where fine prior to me even thinking off adding any fish. Theres some xenia, zoas and a small sps frag in there thats doing fine.

Well to get to the point my firefish was missing this morning which is odd cause he is always out swimming around. I just found him and the goby was eating him in his little cave. Now my question is, is this goby known to kill and eat smaller fish? or was the fish most likely dead and hes having a snack?

heres a link to the goby i think it is.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=221
His colors are much brighter then the picture there though.

Thanks!

jer77
02/11/2007, 05:34 PM
It is possible that some fighting took place since a firefish is a goby-like fish and the pink spotted goby is considered aggressive.

Kurt03
02/11/2007, 05:40 PM
and since there is little rock they were fighting over the best spot im guessing?

Is this pink spotted goby going to cause problems for me later on? I have a mandrin that will be moving to the 150 eventually. I would like to get the spoted goby out now instead of farther down the road if hes going to become an issue.

jer77
02/11/2007, 05:40 PM
Do you have anything else in your tank that might of attacked the firefish? You would think with that size tank they should been a safe distance apart.

Kurt03
02/11/2007, 05:41 PM
nope thats all that is in the tank. and both fish were looking well and eating. im guessing since there is only one pile of rock the goby wanted it all to himself?

jer77
02/11/2007, 05:53 PM
That may have been the problem. Especially since they are new to your tank and haven't established a "home" yet. About the mandarin, they may quarrel a little, but should be all right on these terms with sufficient LR. I'd be more worried about feeding them both. Do you have a fuge?

Kurt03
02/11/2007, 06:30 PM
yes, have a pretty good size fuge sectioned out of the sump. The mandarin also eats pellets so i should be ok there. The mandarins been in my 55 for 4mo+ .

jer77
02/11/2007, 07:19 PM
Your lucky he eats pellets. I know it took mine like 6 months to slowly starve in my 55 even with feeding it everyday. Good luck!

Kurt03
02/11/2007, 08:07 PM
yea, mine was doing great for a while. Then he started getting skinny. I started droping pellets close to him while feeding the other fish and hes sucking them right up! I know im very lucky :D

What were you feeding yours everyday?