PDA

View Full Version : Superman's Glass Drilling Demo Video

superedge88
02/11/2007, 07:14 PM
Here is a little video demo I put together today when I was drilling my 150 gallon show tank. It is pretty informal, and was done with my nokia cell phone so please forgive the choppy quality.

http://www.vidiLife.com/video_play_961740_Superman_s_Glass_Drilling_Demo.htm?tc=997912

For those that are brave enough to drill your own tanks it should be helpful.

steve70
02/11/2007, 07:25 PM
no longer in database

superedge88
02/12/2007, 05:30 AM
I'll get it fixed and let you know.

superedge88
02/12/2007, 02:43 PM
I fixed the link so anyone can view it now.

K-ROK
02/12/2007, 08:18 PM
Nice video but couldn't you just use water to cool the bit? Would be a bit less messy/hazardous wouldn't it?

KADLETZ
02/12/2007, 10:13 PM
with steal work we use dawn dish soap alot to cool bits another idea, safe clean, cheap!!

superedge88
02/12/2007, 10:15 PM
I have read theories of water getting into microscopic cracks that happen during drilling and because of the heat generated by the drilling the water expands within those cracks which causes them to enlarge and be a possible hazard down the road. I don't know if that is true, but I've drilled many tanks this way and won't change up my routine now. I also believe that the antifreeze works better as far as being "slippery" and thus being a better lubricant.

BeanAnimal
02/12/2007, 10:17 PM
bah!

Dawn? Real men use Palmolive!

superedge88
02/12/2007, 10:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9227498#post9227498 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KADLETZ
with steal work we use dawn dish soap alot to cool bits another idea, safe clean, cheap!!

Interesting, tell us how it is used.

ZC
02/13/2007, 12:20 AM
cool video

30mini
02/13/2007, 07:31 AM
I work in a machine shop that works with High Alloy metals, and I just grab some of the shop fluid that they use. Can't tell you exactly what it is, but I can try to find out if you want! If it can keep Titanium and Hastalloy cool while cutting at high RPM's you know it's good stuff!

Beenalongtime79
02/13/2007, 08:30 AM
Superedge,

What is that gunk around the edge you use to keep in the antifreeze... playdough?

Also, what diamond drill bit do you use?

Thanks for the video, very informative and makes it look not so scary to do on your own.

Cheers,
John H.

superedge88
02/13/2007, 08:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9229730#post9229730 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rufio173
Superedge,

What is that gunk around the edge you use to keep in the antifreeze... playdough?

Also, what diamond drill bit do you use?

Thanks for the video, very informative and makes it look not so scary to do on your own.

Cheers,
John H.

That is the one thing that I am kicking myself for not mentioning during the video, I use plumbers putty for the reservoir that the antifreeze sits in. The bit I used is from ameriglas.com though I now know there are places around on the internet that sell them for much cheaper.

Beenalongtime79
02/13/2007, 08:44 AM
Cool... once again thanks for the video. I'm sure it will give lots of reefers courage to try it on their own!

ZC
02/13/2007, 12:38 PM
I get all my hole saws from Richon Tools, they are out of Hong Kong I believe, after shipping mine was like 11 bucks and it was here in a week!! Most online vendors here in the states can't get stuff to me that quick. Also I drilled prolly 8 holes with the one hole saw! Just a FYI for anyone interested in ordering one.

superedge88
02/13/2007, 01:29 PM
I should order one from Richon Tools then, the bit I got from ameriglas is good for over 25 holes, it would be interesting to see what the difference in quality might be.

msuzuki126
02/13/2007, 04:44 PM
Awesome, this should be a sticky up top in this forum! :)

BeanAnimal
02/13/2007, 06:27 PM
I have well over a dozen holes from a $10 eBay "hong kong" bit. These include holes in glass and PEI 5 rated solid ceramic tile.

Beenalongtime79
02/13/2007, 09:32 PM
Ahhhh, chinese labor... it doesn't get cheaper than that!

brc0488
02/13/2007, 09:34 PM
i second guess antifreeze having better cooling capabilitys then water

salty3
02/13/2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the video.

GuySmilie
02/13/2007, 11:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9216620#post9216620 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by superedge88
Here is a little video demo I put together today when I was drilling my 150 gallon show tank. It is pretty informal, and was done with my nokia cell phone so please forgive the choppy quality. For those that are brave enough to drill your own tanks it should be helpful.
Hey Superman, this is just a great guide you've made. I've been contemplating drilling my tank and was pretty sure of the general way to go about it, but having never seen one being drilled, it has re-enforced my confidence.

I had planned on setting it in the bath tub and just using running water for a lubricant. But the putty dam and antifreeze idea is really slick. Lot less hassle jostling around a big tank in a small bathroom :)

One other question for you since you've done quite a few drillings, is there any way to tell if glass is tempered by visual inspection, or some type of other test? I bought an 8 year old Oceanic 58g and there is no sticker on it, like the AGAs have. So my untrained eye can't be certain whether it is or not. Called the factory and they are in a cluster #$%k what with being bought out by 2 different outfits. One tech said yes...another said no.

Anyway, if you can shed some light on the tempering issue, great. But thanks again for this very telling video!

Guy
ps: maybe next time have a camera operator do a close up shot on the target area

rivdog
02/13/2007, 11:22 PM
great job, my ears hurt, but i did resist to push the button
kudos to u

GuySmilie
02/13/2007, 11:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9236418#post9236418 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brc0488
i second guess antifreeze having better cooling capabilitys then water
I don't see why a person couldn't use a light grade of cooking oil, like corn oil or olive oil.
Since it's just food, any residual left in a tank could be dealt with via the protein skimmer, etc.
Guy

rivdog
02/13/2007, 11:36 PM
brc, i guess thats why we use it in engines instead of water , probably a higher boiling point, therefore cooller running

laurentm
02/14/2007, 12:33 AM
nice video, thank you.

brc0488
02/14/2007, 07:25 AM
rivdog it's not just all antifreeze

skey44
02/14/2007, 07:45 AM
does a 45 mm work for a 1" bulkhead i saw this but was a bit confused... i guess the hole has to be the od? what size drill would you recommend for this? does a standard drill work ok or is the portable drill press better? where do you find portable drill presses the only one i see in hd are the big ones. thanks

skey44
02/14/2007, 07:50 AM
aha.. or is the thing attached to the drill just a drill guide?

brc0488
02/14/2007, 08:31 AM
skey i just ordered a 45 mm drill bit to drill for a 1" bulkhead that's what i was told was right; and 45mm = 1.772 inches

superedge88
02/14/2007, 09:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9238589#post9238589 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by skey44
aha.. or is the thing attached to the drill just a drill guide?

It is a normal drill that has a drill guide attached.

superedge88
02/14/2007, 09:36 AM
I use bulkheads like what Championlighting lists on there site, so I always use there site as a guide for figuring out what size hole saw to buy for what size bulkhead http://www.championlighting.com/home.php?cat=436

jarhead
02/14/2007, 02:41 PM
How do you prevent the antifreeze from dripping into the tank? Wouldn't it "contaminate" the tank?

BeanAnimal
02/14/2007, 03:05 PM
You will simply have to clean the tank well after you drill. As has been pointed out, there are other lubricants that can be more safely used if contamination or safety is a concern.

corndogg
02/14/2007, 03:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9237505#post9237505 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rivdog
brc, i guess thats why we use it in engines instead of water , probably a higher boiling point, therefore cooller running

The reason we use antifreeze in cars is because it doesn't freeze the water that is mixed in the radiator. Your not supposed to use 100% antifreeze or 100% water. It's the mixture of water and antifreeze that is most efficient.

BeanAnimal
02/14/2007, 03:35 PM
Yes, actaully water is a better coolant than anti-freeze :)

If memory serves... pure water has a thermal conductivity of .8 or so and pure anti-freeze has a thermal conductivity of .25

Somebody may care to correct my numbers if they are wrong.

Bean

superedge88
02/14/2007, 03:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9241818#post9241818 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jarhead
How do you prevent the antifreeze from dripping into the tank? Wouldn't it "contaminate" the tank?

It dillutes with water, and has never been a problem with any of the systems I have drilled and really isn't a problem. If you think about it, usually you check the system for leaks with freshwater anyways and to clean out any residual pvc glue remnants and such anyways, this is more than enough to clean out any remnants of antifreeze.

I also use anti freeze because it is a much better lubricant than water, and cooling really isn't a problem at all, the antifreeze is always cold to the touch after even the longest drilling excursions. When drilling using a reservoir the key is to have liquid that spreads out over a large enough area of glass so that the glass can pull any heat from the liquid, kinda like using the glass as a heat sink. So if you are really paranoid about the liquid heating up that much, just use a larger reservoir area around where you are drilling. I use antifreeze because it can be dilluted with water very easily and it is an excellent lubricant.

BeanAnimal
02/14/2007, 03:54 PM
Just about any liquid will wick enough heat away from the raw cut to work... For those who are not thrilled about the ethylene glycol (the major ingredient of antifreeze) the Dawn or Palmolive dish soap will work just fine.

Please be aware that ethylene glycol smells sweet and dogs and other animals will lick it up like candy. This will certainly cause the slow and painful death of the animal and is not treatable. Please handle the stuff with care!

GuySmilie
02/14/2007, 04:35 PM
I looked up corn oils 'smoke point', which is 325°. And EVOO is around 425°. I think vegetable oil (which is a blend of several types) is higher yet. Any which are lot more 'tank friendly' than detergents and ethylene glycol, IME.
Guy

BeanAnimal
02/14/2007, 04:41 PM
The problem with corn oil or vegatable oil is that they tend to get very gummy very quickly and can actually create more problems than they solve :) That is why we never use them as lubricants for anything.

reefinmike
02/14/2007, 04:48 PM
very informative. however i have always been informed to tape the underside of the hole so that way if youre not drilling exactly parralell or whatever to the tank, it will come out clean.

BeanAnimal
02/14/2007, 05:30 PM
The tape will help but clamping a block of wood firmly to the back side will also do wonders. I did not watch the whole video and do not have speakers set up... but I would hope that he mentioned to be carefull and not let the slug fall through and crack the other side of the tank :) A blanket or something soft to catch the slug is a good idea.

superedge88
02/14/2007, 06:52 PM
I did mention that.

Beenalongtime79
02/14/2007, 09:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9242369#post9242369 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
Just about any liquid will wick enough heat away from the raw cut to work... For those who are not thrilled about the ethylene glycol (the major ingredient of antifreeze) the Dawn or Palmolive dish soap will work just fine.

Please be aware that ethylene glycol smells sweet and dogs and other animals will lick it up like candy. This will certainly cause the slow and painful death of the animal and is not treatable. Please handle the stuff with care!

Ethylene glycol is treatable if caught early enough... at least for humans, not sure if it is worth the big bucks to treat dogs or cats that have been poisoned, but given the love some owners have for their pets, I wouldn't be surprised if they did shell out the thousands of dollars it would take to treat a poisoning.

Fomepizole is the DOC... but ethanol loading can be used to slow down the process of toxic metabolite formation.

One of my attendings mentioned that a girl that he had treated for swallowing antifreeze survived, because her mother luckily stopped her troubled daughter after returning from the garage having swallowed a fatal dose of ethylene glycol, and had her join her for a glass of wine. This allowed her enough time to get treated for the poisoning.

Seems to work for the purpose of drilling holes. :)

Peace,
John H.

superedge88
02/14/2007, 09:55 PM
I have considered using propolene (sp?) glycol, seems to be less toxic maybe? I would only be using it to drill paranoid people's tanks that refuse to let me use regular old antifreeze.

GuySmilie
02/14/2007, 10:22 PM
Step-by-Step: Drilling Holes in Your Glass Tank (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=603816)
I ran across this today. I hadn't seen it before.
He doesn't use antifreeze or detergents...just water.
Guy

superedge88
02/14/2007, 10:26 PM
Looks like a good how to, except her drilled SO CLOSE to the edge of the glass...Dangerous!:eek1:

rivdog
02/14/2007, 10:42 PM
awesome thread, slurp,s....sorry that was a hiccup

BeanAnimal
02/14/2007, 10:49 PM
I just use water. Rufio I did not realize it was treatable... but I would guess that in most cases it is a timing issue and likely not something that you can count on unless you actually saw the pet or person quaf the poison?

skey44
02/15/2007, 01:22 AM
yo... found this late nite tonight... http://www.shopsmartxpress.com/AmeriGls/MAIN.htm
superman's place to buy bits has a superguide to drilling glass they even have an aquarium section recommended speeds for differing thicknesses and a sexn settlin the debate about lube... read it i think they know what is up... they say water in a putty dam and they do not recommend certain lubes some people have been talking about on this forum for some very legitimate sounding reasons... thanks for the help and advice!

skey44
02/15/2007, 01:26 AM
hmm looks like this is not a direct link, u have to go to power tools --> accessories --> diamond drill bits -->on the menu near diamond hole saws

GuySmilie
02/15/2007, 02:13 AM
Very informative and authoritarian.
Thanx skey44!
Guy

skey44
02/15/2007, 04:25 AM
well here goes ... not the drilling but i did order the bit for a 1" (44.7mm) from ameriglas and the one for a .75" (35mm) and 1.5" (64mm) from richon.
so i now have to drill and let everyone know. im also gonna drill a 10g aga and a 30g aga (are these too thin glassed to drill?) for my sump/refugium system

superedge88
02/15/2007, 08:32 AM
be careful drilling the 10 gallon, it can be made of very thin glass which can end up flexing a lot and even break if you put much pressure on the drill bit at all. Take care and good luck skey44! Let us know how it goes!

superedge88
02/15/2007, 08:54 AM
In light of all the hooplah about everyone wanting to drill with water, I will be putting together a glass drilling how to video with water as the lubricant. I will be drilling my 58 gallon oceanic aquarium.

KADLETZ
02/15/2007, 04:46 PM
plz use soap or like Bean would say ahhhhh palmalive, lol, high rate of volosity, the abbility to break down petrol. and safe to ducks.

Serk
02/15/2007, 07:18 PM
Kinda ironic, I just finished drilling 4 holes in 2 tanks, came in and found a link to your video on my local club's forum... ;)

Even though I've drilled my share of tanks (And even one beer bottle), I really appreciate you taking the time to record how you do it!

I personally prefer the water, not just for the cooling, but also to wash away the glass grit as it's being created. I duct tape a garden hose near the work area, and just leave it on low so that I get a constant stream across the work area, and the water coming out the other side of the work area is invariably VERY dirty with grit...

I need to get me one of those drill guides though! What I've done is I got a regular hole saw in the same size as the diamond tipped bit, and drilled a hole in a piece of scrap wood, and duct tape this template to the tank in my work area. I put a few layers of duct tape on the template's ends before placing it, so it's lifted up off the glass just a hair so the water can wash between it and the glass...

I can't believe you did that inside though! My ears feel like they're bleeding after I've done a hole or two outside, I can only imagine the sound created doing it indoors!

Anyway, just wanted to add my $0.02 to the discussion... Thanks again for making the video!

GuySmilie
02/15/2007, 07:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9247603#post9247603 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by superedge88
In light of all the hooplah about everyone wanting to drill with water, I will be putting together a glass drilling how to video with water as the lubricant. I will be drilling my 58 gallon oceanic aquarium.
Superedge88 - you got an Oceanic 58g?!?!?

So do I! Just got it used a few weeks ago and I can not for the love of mike find out if it's tempered or not.

I've talked to two separate folks at the mfgr and one said yes, while the other said no. So now I'm cornfused as all get out. The guy who sold it to me said it's about 8-9 yrs old. There were no warning labels on it when I got it. He couldn't remember if there ever was or not.

So how do you know if yours is tempered or not?
Guy

stevebla
02/15/2007, 10:01 PM
You grind a circle in glass just need to keep things cool.

superedge88
02/16/2007, 11:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9254264#post9254264 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stevebla
You grind a circle in glass just need to keep things cool.

If it were that simple then no one would be worried.

GuySmilie
I have seen people drill the oceanic 58 gallon tanks, so I don't think it is an issue with mine, though I can't speak with 100% confidence unless I talked with oceanic.

woz9683
02/16/2007, 12:19 PM
I've got to chime in for water here. I use the same process superedge used but just poured some water in the ring. It's more than enough to keep the cutting area cool. If I were drilling through really thick material I might think about pouring more cool water in halfway through the process, but it's probably not even worth it. Running water makes too much of a mess as do the chemicals or even soap in my opinion. They might cool a little better or be a little slicker, but it's not even close to necessary.

trainfever
03/24/2007, 02:44 PM
I know you mentioned about putting a towel or something inside to keep the slug from cracking the other side of the tank. Why dont you just use a plastic bucket? That way you will catch the glass slug and the antifreeze and not have to worry about contaminating the tank.

badpacket
03/24/2007, 08:44 PM
Oy, nice video. I think thats all that keeps a lot of us from doing stuff, just need to 'see' it done in addition to reading about it.

Just had a thought, why not just use one of the clearer cooking oils as a lubricant?
I'm doubting it will burst into flame due too heat.
Edit- Nevermind, just read the ameriglas site.

Also, to help prevent chips it would seem like an idea might be to place a spare piece of glass underneath the spot being drilled, and put just the slight amount of pressue on the bottom if it. That way, as the bit drills though the tank glass, there is less flex due to the other piece of glass pushing 'up' against it and it may not pop.

And, if you want to prevent antifreeze from splashing in the tank, just tape some saran wrap inside below the hole area with blue masking tape or some such. Leave enough wrap to drap inside. Or a trash bag?

JagerEinheit
03/24/2007, 11:00 PM
just a bit of info. rubbing alcohol is used to remove antifreeze and "coolant" mixtures from machine shop parts and works just fine for fish tanks. after you use the alcohol you use a strong mix of decholorinator and then its good to go.

generally we filled the tank with enough rubbing alcohol to put a pump into then "power washed" the tank. also micing rubbing alcohol with water and circulating with a pump just as well.

the alcohol drys fast and leaves no residue when done. the dechlorinator simply removes any residues left in the tank along with the washing in FW.

idk exactly how many tanks. but no glass cutter in my area bothers with soap or water, they just use the machine shop coolant (antifreeze and a light oil mix)

FWIW soap and water work fine. but antifreeze isnt hard to remove once used so its not a deal breaker if you use it.

HTH

chrisguy
06/10/2007, 09:43 AM
Great video, thanks!!

One thing that I do is use 2" duct tape on the inside of where the hole will be. I put a couple strips horizontal to the hole and a couple strips vertical, creating an X over the hole. This has always kept the glass slug from falling. In most cases the duct tape isn't even cut all the way through and the water (I use water) doesn't even spill into the tank.

sac-bobme
06/10/2007, 12:42 PM
Cool video, but its kinda funny how many times you say uh, and um.
But we get the idea, thanks agian.

superedge88
06/10/2007, 04:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10115014#post10115014 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sac-bobme
Cool video, but its kinda funny how many times you say uh, and um.
But we get the idea, thanks agian.

That's what you get when you go unrehearsed :p I'll try and be more grammatically correct on the next video for you.;)