PDA

View Full Version : MH to T-5

armstrongd
02/11/2007, 07:36 PM
hey guys, I am thinking about switching from 150W HOB MH to a 96W T-5. I have LPS, 1 clam, and 2 SPS corals. It is a 20H with temps around 78-82F. the tank has been up and running for about 6 months, wiyh no problems yet. I would like to add more SPS and clams in the future. What do you think?

bertoni
02/12/2007, 02:16 AM
Lots of people like T5. For that size setup, either should work well enough, if the MH is okay in quality. I think it's mostly a matter of personal taste.

conefree
02/12/2007, 02:48 AM
Either one is a viable light source, but like Bertoni said it is a matter of personal preference. If you like your existing setup and don't want to bother switching, you could buy a small, cheap clip-on fan to blow across your tank's surface to help keep it cool.

The only downside to this is increased evaporation. Not sure if you have any ATO system setup.

armstrongd
02/12/2007, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the imput guys. The reason that i asked was i want to add more SPS and clams in the furture. Is the T-5 strong enough for them? I have read that clams are light hogs. Will i have to give them up?

Amphiprion
02/12/2007, 08:21 AM
If you have enough high quality T5s with good reflectors, you will be fine with both. It is a matter of taste. Honestly, I would look around and see which look you prefer to give you a good idea of what you will have with either.