PDA

View Full Version : 300 Gallon structure ?

cimdxb2
02/11/2007, 09:11 PM
Kind of threw this question out earlier, but not via the title.

I am thinking about putting a 240-300 gallon tank as a divider between my kitchen and family room. It is over a full basement. One end of the tank will be directly over a load bearing outside wall. The other end is about 7 feet from the I-Beam that goes through the center of the basement. The Tank will be running the same direction as the joists below.

Unfortunately the tank is over an area of the basement that will not allow me to put posts in place.

The house is new construction (< 15 years). I was thinking about putting several pieces of angle iron across the joists (including several in both directions) in play. I should also note that either of these rooms could be occupied by people at the same time.

Ideas, feedback, etc.. would be awesome.

For what it is worth, I am also looking for a person in the Chicago area to help w/the project from a reality check perspective. I am working w/a Local Reef Shop, but would like to validate his advice.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dave

chris wright
02/18/2007, 06:16 AM
Hi Dave,

Im building myself a house this year and I planned on putting a tank that will hold around 1500ltrs to be built into a wall backing onto a room for all the equipment. Because I am building the house I had a Structual Engineer design the footings as well as the floor to take the load.

It is not expensive in the long run to employ an engineer to design a beam that will support the load easily,

peace of mind will give you a good nights sleep lol.

Hope this helps out.

Chris.