PDA

View Full Version : What can I keep with my lights?

Miamireefer
02/12/2007, 12:11 AM
got a 90 gallon

Lighting consists of an aqulight pro with 2x96 actinic pc's and 2x150 hqi 14k phoenix bulbs. Although I know most would say go for the 250's the 150's are still great and the color spectrum suits my personal viewing satisfaction..

current corals in my tank contain hardy lps corals such as hammer, bubble, and brains..... the top half of my tank I have reserved for possibly adding 2 to 3 stonies.. I would really like a monty cap, and also maybe add a clam. Although I would like the clam in my sand bed I do not know if it's possible. Please share your thoughts. I have also added a pic of my tank to give an idea of my layout.

Tia everyone,

Nick

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d138/grinchof305/IMG_3537.jpg

GSMguy
02/12/2007, 12:24 AM
awsome tank you can have some sps if you want more lps or a ton of zoas

reefshadow
02/12/2007, 12:32 AM
Very pretty!

Montis would do fine with that lighting IMO, both capricornis and digitata, just keep in mind that the caps will spread out tremendously and take up alot of light and real estate. I like to put them lower in the tank or they will shade everything below! Watch out for nudis.

There are quite a few plating types that I think would do well, like t. reniformis, echinophyllia, many of the "chalice" types as well.

Branching types you may be a bit more limited, but as above, there are digitatas that come in nice colours, pocillopora and seriatopora are good choices as well. You may also get away with a few types of acros if located up high.

I personally think you could get a squamosa or derasa clam, though some would probably disagree. Gigas also can tolerate "lower" light but get humongous. Squammis and derasa do get quite large as well, so you would likely be dedicating a large portion of the SB to one of these.

I think you have quite a few choices, as alot of SPS corals can thrive in a range of lighting conditions, and I wouldn't say your tank is low light, rather more moderate.

Good luck!

Miamireefer
02/12/2007, 12:33 AM
gsmguy....would a monty cap be good enough to house withmy lighting? I really want a mother colony and willing to spend the $$ but I want to make sure I can meet it's needs lighting wise. And in regards to clams... any luck i can keep on my sand bed? of course with it's foot planted onto a rubble piece?

thanks again,

Nick

grav
02/12/2007, 12:38 AM
Whatever it is, always get a small one 1st.

Keep it alive, and it is growing after a few months, then you can spend the $ on a bigger one.

Miamireefer
02/12/2007, 12:46 AM
damn...nevermind....questions seemed reasonably answered....of course i always like to hear from the masses..... thanks again... I got a range of what I can work with at least.... and thanks for the advice with regards to the monty...

Miamireefer
02/12/2007, 12:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9219184#post9219184 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by grav
Whatever it is, always get a small one 1st.

Keep it alive, and it is growing after a few months, then you can spend the $ on a bigger one.

good point....