PDA

View Full Version : soft coral id please

jkable
02/12/2007, 07:17 PM
I have had both of these corals in my tank for a couple years. Please help me identify them. I have a couple frags of each that i need to sell so an idea of what they are worth would be appreciated, thank you.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/510/125042green-leather-med.jpg

[IMG]http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/510/125042yellow-leather-med.jpg

Bmgrocks
02/14/2007, 06:40 AM
Finger Leather? or devils hand

wantsalotta
02/14/2007, 12:52 PM
no devils hand here. The bottom is a finger leather, the top is hard to tell w/out a picture of open polyps, possibly nepthea sp.

paeSona
02/15/2007, 05:47 PM
the bottom pic i would say is a white kenya tree coral and defintily no devils hand... also i cant say for the top pic but they are both nicee

Conky
02/15/2007, 05:52 PM
My guess is Sinularia on top, Klyxum on bottom. Is the second one "soft, floppy and slippery"?

jkable
02/15/2007, 06:03 PM
The bottom one is soft floppy and slippery, i posted the top coral on reef discusion and 3 people said green sinularia. Anyone know what these corals are woth? Ihave several i need to part with, running out of room. Any other info is appreciated.

Conky
02/15/2007, 06:53 PM
Looking around at frag trading/selling sites...seems like 12 to 30 dollars for a 3" colony. Check out sites lite frags.org.

Judging from the slippery, soft nature...I'm fairly confident that it is a colt (Klyxum/Alcyonium). If so, it is unusual color (for me at least). Most are brownish/pinkish.

jkable
02/15/2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks to everyone, any more comment?

jkable
02/22/2007, 06:00 PM
Any more opinions on the bottom one? thank you

Chaotic Reefer4u
02/22/2007, 06:23 PM
nice...

Hormigaquatica
02/23/2007, 12:18 AM
it could be sinularia, or nephthea, or a number of others. The vast majority of soft corals have not been described/identified scientifically, and those that have been can only be positivly IDd by microscopic views of their sclerites. Even two groups that many people claim to be able to tell the difference between- Sarcophyton and Lobophytum- have recently been proven virtually indistinguishable under intensive identification studies.

Point being- it is essentially impossible to get a positive ID, even to the Genus. Kenya Tree, Colt, Finger Leather, etc are all just layman terms that describe the shape of the coral (well, I guess colt doesnt look much like a young horse, but you know what I mean). What you have are two branching soft corals with a green tint. The second one has some characteristics commonly found in corals from the Family Nephtheidae. The green color indicates that they are likely to do best under moderately stong lighting and moderate to high water flow.

Worth depends on where you are. I know people who just give away cuttings of these types of corals because they grow so quickly. In a retail setting, your colonies would probably get $40 to $70 depending on the market. 4-5" frags may get you $10-$20 at a frag swap or something similar.

NanoReefWanabe
02/23/2007, 12:17 PM
i have that green one too...i have never seen the polyps open anymore then they are in that photo or my photo..i still have no name for it et either..i was told nephthea..but i dont know...
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l46/crazyoldcougar/IMG_3075.jpg

LOL fo rall i now like it was mentioned above...these may not even be the same corals..

sorry about the quasi-hijack, but i too am interested to know the name of this coral..

BTW the white one i perty...