PDA

View Full Version : Feeding a huma?

mlblover126
02/12/2007, 10:11 PM
Hey folks can i get some input on what and how do yall(I'M A TEXAN)feed humas or other triggers

Jerry W
02/12/2007, 10:16 PM
Mostly meaty foods. Chopped squidd, clam, silversides, krill. You can use scallops and shrimp as well. Once a day is fine. Supplements like selcon and zoe are good to soak foods in.

mlblover126
02/12/2007, 10:29 PM
so i just chop them, soak and then toss right in???? or do use a feeder stick?

r.d.m
02/12/2007, 10:30 PM
and they LOVE fresh oysters! yes i spoil mine

mlblover126
02/12/2007, 10:49 PM
Really i work at an oyster bar do i just put half the shell in the tank and let him go to town. By the way i just go a huma today about three hours ago and he'll only come out for a minute and then duck back in the rock pile will he get bold enough to come out

cunningham
02/12/2007, 11:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9227845#post9227845 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mlblover126
Really i work at an oyster bar do i just put half the shell in the tank and let him go to town. By the way i just go a huma today about three hours ago and he'll only come out for a minute and then duck back in the rock pile will he get bold enough to come out dont worry he will get bold, when i clean my tank mine is biting my arm! ive never put in oysters but im sure he would eat like crazy, make sure you wash the shell good before you schuck and put in the tank i do that with clams.:)

saltyESQ
02/13/2007, 12:40 AM
Mine loves formula 1 and clams, but will eat any meaty food.

mlblover126
02/13/2007, 01:23 AM
Thanks guys i'll post tomorrow and let ya'll know something!

Long Time Beginner
02/13/2007, 09:39 AM
My huma would eat a shoe if I put one in there. Just go for variety and try to trick him into eating a few veggies in addition to lots of meat. Your trigger will be healthiest if he gets at least one serving per day of each of the four trigger food groups: meats, veggies, tankmates, and rocks.

BMW///M3
02/13/2007, 12:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9230210#post9230210 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Long Time Beginner
My huma would eat a shoe if I put one in there. Just go for variety and try to trick him into eating a few veggies in addition to lots of meat. Your trigger will be healthiest if he gets at least one serving per day of each of the four trigger food groups: meats, veggies, tankmates, and rocks. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
4 trigger food groups....

TO the original poster....what size tank is he in? What else is in there with him?

mlblover126
02/13/2007, 01:41 PM
hey bmw he's in a ninty gal. with a watchman goby and three damsels the huma is only 3 to 4 inches long with tons of rock (plenty of hiding places) he is my center piece fish and no other fish are going to be added.

mlblover126
02/15/2007, 01:33 PM
help me or is it to late? i got him to eat some oyster last night and then this morning i gave him some krill and he nipped at it but didn't take it i offered some more oyster he took a few bites and went back in his cave and now he is just leaning against the wall on the sand chillin should i be worried its been three days since i've had him and dont want to lose him so please help me

mlblover126
help me or is it to late? i got him to eat some oyster last night and then this morning i gave him some krill and he nipped at it but didn't take it i offered some more oyster he took a few bites and went back in his cave and now he is just leaning against the wall on the sand chillin should i be worried its been three days since i've had him and dont want to lose him so please help me

mlblover126

mlblover126
02/15/2007, 01:34 PM
sorry about the triple post

petoonia
02/15/2007, 02:04 PM
Be patient, give it some time to settle in. Keep trying different foods. Since it is a new addition be watchful for signs of distress heavy breathing, erratic behaviour, not eating.

Good luck I hope everything goes well!!!!

55gSW
02/15/2007, 02:19 PM
If he's a little guy and you gave him a whole oyster than he's probably full! They will eat themselves sick if you let them....what I usually do is give him an oyster or clam like once a week, then it's a 3" square of nori in a feeding clip three times a week, and fresh raw shrimp once a week, and then either frozen formula one or trigger food once a week. He gets formula one flakes daily. They will graze on the rocks and in the substrate too.

:)

shiftyfatdwarf
02/15/2007, 03:23 PM
krill, ghost shrimp, freshwater feeders. mainly anything that will move it will eat it. krill is really good though because it will help bring out the colors

mlblover126
02/15/2007, 03:34 PM
He is picking at my rock and sand i just nervous he is not getting enough he ate quit a bit of oyster last night but just nibbled a little bit of krill today do yall think im just paraniod?

55gSW
02/16/2007, 07:46 AM
Yep. ;)

r.d.m
02/16/2007, 06:37 PM
they are pretty moody fish but as 55gsw said they will overeat very easily,mine has just started eatig nori but i think only because the clown trigger and lipstick tang do and he thinks he's missing out,dont worry about not eating for a few days although their belly gets a bit thin they seem to store a lot in their dorsal area,when i got the clown trigger at around 11/2 "this area was quite sunken but within a week it was full again-good luck

mlblover126
02/23/2007, 04:10 PM
UPDATE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
my huma is eating everthing i put in my tank i'm scared to stick my hand in there. so anyway like i said he's about 3 1/2 inches long how much and how often should i feed him, i've been feeding him freeze dried kill, oysters and mussels.

b16drag
02/23/2007, 07:34 PM
Try some "Nori" My huma enjoys feasting on mysis shrimps, chopped up regular shrimps, and "Nori"

Nori - seaweed that people use for wrapping sushi with! Yummy stuff.

ThomasinKind
02/23/2007, 10:22 PM
The key with triggers is a varied diet. They will eat anything and in quantity (to the point of "getting sick"). Also give him some foods to "work for" (e.g. oysters, clams, etc.). This will help make them happy and it's fun to watch them crush a shell.

DON'T feed freshwater feeders -- it will cause problems and prematurely kill your fish (if it's the primary diet).

Check out: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/trigfdgfaqs.htm

That'll answer just about any questions you have. :)

GOOD JOB ON NOT OVERCROWDING YOUR TRIGGER!!!

55gSW
02/23/2007, 11:16 PM
I have a huma too and I feed him twice a day. One biggish meal in the morning (like the oyster or the nori) and then the formula flakes in the evening. I can't recommend that you feed your fish by hand! I tried that with a nice big hunk of shrimp and he took a small piece of my fingertip off with it. Now he's got a taste for human flesh! :eek: :lol:

BTW, buy the nori at the grocery store. It's cheaper than what you would pay for it at the LFS.

mlblover126
02/24/2007, 01:58 PM
thanks for all the help guys!!!!