PDA

View Full Version : Is my angel sick>?

hoopscity
02/12/2007, 10:21 PM
I've had this Koran Angel for 7 months now. SG: 1.021, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates are all 0. Tank mates are a naso tang, manila puffer and a domino damsel all in a 75 gallon. the tang is about 3 in. and angel is about 2in.

It's been healthy and recently I've begun to see some color changes in it which I believe are normal. However, there is a white patch that has developed above the eye on the right side that does not look normal, however, the patch is also on the other side. While it's other color changes are more golden which seem to be the right thing, this patch above the eye is more white... is he sick? I can't really tell...

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=202882

jmicky41
02/12/2007, 10:34 PM
It looks like a beginning case of head and lateral line erosion (HLLE). It is not "normal", but unfortunatley all too common on some angels and tangs. It is not really a disease but more of a condition. Opinions vary as to the root cause but diet, stress, using too much carbon, stray voltage, lack of vitamins, lack of natural sunlight, have all been considered factors.
It can be halted or even reversed with an improved diet with daily vitamin additions like selcon and vitachem; coupled with improved water quality.
If it were my fish I would: offer more nori and angel formula soaked in vitamins, add a grounding probe if you don't have one, and limit carbon usage to a couple of days a month with a high quality brand. Some people claim great success with a product called Ecosystem Fish Solution. I tried it once on a hippo tang with HLLE and although the symptoms greatly improved I can't say that is what did it because I also did the other things I mentioned.
If you do a search I'm sure you will get many hits.

Hattie B
02/13/2007, 11:21 AM
jmicky41, is right.

And gave lots of good suggestions. your fish is starting to get MHLLE.