PDA

View Full Version : Hepatus Tang acclimation....

doowain9999
02/13/2007, 02:17 PM
I plan on buying a Hepatus Tang and I don't have the means for a quarantine tank. What alternatives are there to introducing him to my tank besides just dropping him in? Are there any pre-medications that help? What about a freshwater dip prior to putting him in? Sorry if this really off.

I have a 72 gallon bowfront reef that has been set up for 6 months. Everything is stable and in the proper ranges. I have a mated pair of oscellaris clownfish and a dragon goby. Everything is happy and thriving!

temp = 78
alk = 1.023-1.024
PH - 8.2
ammonia - 0
nitrate - 0
nitrite - 0
calcium - 300-350 - still adding to get to proper level

Thanks in advance!

steri
02/13/2007, 02:44 PM
First place the bag in the tank for about 10 minutes only so the temperatures of the tank and the bag become the same. Then acclimate him using the drip method for at least 2 hours.

By drip method, I mean run a tube from your tank to the bag the fish is in. Let it drip into the bag at about one drip per second. Every 15-20 minutes take about 1/3 cup of water out of the bag. Do this for a minimum of 2 hours, then put the fishy in a net, and place him into your tank.

Good luck with the Blue Hippo. I would recommend having some type of medication or Garlic Xtreme on standby. Blue Hippos are prone to disease (such as ich) early on while they get used to a new tank. Being that you do not have a QT, get some garlic Xtreme and some type of reef safe medication you can have on stand by just in case you start to see the initial signs of disease with your tang or any other of the fish.

If you have buy that stuff when you by the fish, you will be fine. I got a Blue Hippo tang a littel bit ago. He got ich, and I treated him in the tank. All fish lived with no problems, but I'm almost 100% certain that is because of the Garlic Xtreme I bought.