PDA

View Full Version : Running 2 skimmers

jpa0741
02/13/2007, 04:07 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think there would be any negative effects to running 2 skimmers in sump. I have a css 125 running now and plan on adding a css 220. Tank is 92g with 55 gallon sump.

McCrary
02/13/2007, 04:10 PM
If you have a sump you may want to look into the Octopus skimmers. They are much better than the CSS. But running two skimmers isn't going to hurt anything, run one wet and one dry.

schneijt
02/13/2007, 05:07 PM
Depending on the size of the skimmers, you may see one skimming and the other not, and they may trade back and forth doing this. This would probably happen if they're both fairly large skimmers. (I don't know about the performance of the CSS skimmers and the different sizes, so I can't judge how they'd perform on a tank of your size. I also don't know about your bioload, and that's always a factor.) If they're two smaller skimmers and are both getting "fresh" water right from the tank, they'd both be doing decent work at the same time. But, it's arguably better to have two smaller skimmers instead of one big one because you can have something to fall back on should one of them break down or something like that. Also, I like the idea of one skimming dry and one skimming wet, though I'm not sure you're guaranteed any better performance over running them both with the same foam consistency.

-Joe

kodyboy
02/13/2007, 09:15 PM
get an octopus instead of the 220, better skimmer for the same price (a nw150 is around $150).

jpa0741
02/13/2007, 09:53 PM
I am not looking to get into which skimmer is better. I was just looking for advise on running 2 skimmers. I have been very happy with the CSS 125 and got a deal on a CSS 220 I couldn't pass up. I was planning on switching the 125 for the 220, but realized I will have room for both, so why not.