PDA

View Full Version : need ID

cyslyde
02/13/2007, 09:03 PM
ok i know it's a bad pic but after filling my 1gig memory card twice this is the best i can do.

this little guy seems to stay in one place and from afar looks kinda fleshy like a coral, but closer up looks like a hard shell, it also feels hard so i am undecided as to where to start looking. anybody who can point me in the right direction?

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/5894/unknownzf4.jpg

much appreciated for the help

L and L
02/13/2007, 09:28 PM
I'll start with... does your digital camera have a macro setting? The universal icon is a flower. Most cameras have it. Look for it and select it. It will allow close pictures in focus.

alan214
02/13/2007, 10:19 PM
Based on what I can see from the pic, it could be a Majano Aiptasia.

AquaReeferMan
02/14/2007, 01:54 AM
I was thinking majano as well.

MrPike
02/14/2007, 03:26 AM
Looks like it may be a candycane head as well. Does it feel soft?

Travis L. Stevens
02/14/2007, 09:06 AM
Possibly a Limpet? I'm not sure. Do you have a tripod to use to hold the camera still. Even a zoomed out, clear picture can be better than a zoomed in, blurry one. Can you take it out and take a picture of it in a cup?

cyslyde
02/14/2007, 11:21 AM
thanx guys, yeah that was on macro setting, I do not have a tripod anymore. I will try again to get some better photos of it. I do not think it is a majomo as i have never seen it open like an anenome does. and this is the only one I can find in teh tank. and the shape is somewhat conical.

Travis L. Stevens
02/14/2007, 11:24 AM
If you can, rest the camera on the glass or on the back of a chair to steady the image.

Paintbug
02/14/2007, 12:10 PM
i am assuming it doesnt crawl around the tank. take a look at it at night. im pretty sure that is a cup coral, sometimes call a hidden cup coral. they usually only open up at night, and will have little balls on the tips of the tentacles.

cyslyde
02/15/2007, 07:37 AM
yeah i had the forethought to take a look at it last night under just the acintics, and it was lit up glowing bright green. like some of my other corals

I think the issue with pic taking is that it is smaller than the head of a roofing nail. the big concern now is that it is less than it's own width away from my finger leather. I would like to see the little guy grow and survive but I have a feeling that at some point I am going to have to remove him or the finger from it's current rock.... any suggestions on how and when would be a good time to handle that?

thanx for the suggestions, though I will try to use some more of those next time i am feeling a bit like ansel adams