PDA

View Full Version : Snails Dying?

InvaderJim
02/13/2007, 11:02 PM
I lost one of my Cat-eye snails a few days ago, and I just went and checked out my tank a few minutes ago to find one of my astrea snails being eaten by hermits. I moved him earlier today, and didn't notice he it was alive or not. Thats 2 snails this week. I tested the water just yesterday.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0
Salinity 1.026
Temp 78-79F

Anyone have any ideas of what could be going on. Both of the snails have been in my tank for over 2 months.

bertoni
02/13/2007, 11:16 PM
Are they some type of Turbo snail? How many are in the tank?

Hermits are known to eat snails, so that could be the problem. How many hermit crabs are there?

InvaderJim
02/13/2007, 11:19 PM
Yes, the Cat-Eyes are a type of turbo. That one randomly died, and today an Astrea randomly died. I'm almost positive the snail was dead before the hermit started eating it.

There were 9 hermits in there, I'm no sure how many are left.

bertoni
02/14/2007, 12:15 AM
In which tank? The 90g? How many snails were there at the start?

InvaderJim
02/14/2007, 12:16 AM
No the 10g. There were 3 Cat-eyes, and I believe 6 astreas.

bertoni
02/14/2007, 12:33 AM
I'd guess starvation. 9 hermit crabs would get pretty hungry in a 10g tank, in my experience. Same for that many snails. They could also be inappropriate species, or been damaged in shipment.

InvaderJim
02/14/2007, 12:42 AM
I'm pretty sure there aren't 9 hermits left. I think a few have eaten each other. Why would the snails be starving? There is plenty of algae on the glass and such to eat.

The snails have been in there for over two months, and were at the LFS for who knows how long before that. I don't think shipping has any part in it.

bertoni
02/14/2007, 12:46 AM
The snails might not be able or willing to eat the algae on the glass. Every snail has a different diet. On the other hand, the hermit crabs might just be hungry. Either way, food issues seem to be the most likely cause.

InvaderJim
02/14/2007, 01:01 AM
hmm...Any suggestions as to what I can do?

zoiescout
02/14/2007, 06:05 AM
I have astrea snails in my 55 gallon. I buy seaweed sheets at my LFS and attach with a veggie clip. The snails eat it every day and I have not lost any snails.

A sea K
02/14/2007, 08:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9237881#post9237881 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by InvaderJim
hmm...Any suggestions as to what I can do?

In my not so expert opinion you have too many snails for a 10 gallon tank. I would think 2 or 3 tops, and the hermits will deffinately kill your snails as well.

I added a bunch of blue legs to my 210 to help w/a hair algea problem and they did a number on my snails ( cateyes, astrea, and ceriths). However the snail population in my fuge has suffered no losses to date (astrea, cerith, and nassirius), there are no hermits in my fuge.

I also have several cateyes in a 65gal with out any hermits and have no losses there either.

You must have got the cateyes at Aquatropics. Be very leary of any advice you recieve there.

InvaderJim
02/14/2007, 10:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9238771#post9238771 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by A sea K
In my not so expert opinion you have too many snails for a 10 gallon tank. I would think 2 or 3 tops, and the hermits will deffinately kill your snails as well.

I added a bunch of blue legs to my 210 to help w/a hair algea problem and they did a number on my snails ( cateyes, astrea, and ceriths). However the snail population in my fuge has suffered no losses to date (astrea, cerith, and nassirius), there are no hermits in my fuge.

I also have several cateyes in a 65gal with out any hermits and have no losses there either.

You must have got the cateyes at Aquatropics. Be very leary of any advice you recieve there.

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can come up with to solve the problem.

Actually, I got the cateyes from Ocean Exotics. I refuse to buy anything from Aquatropics, much less go in there anymore.

A sea K
02/14/2007, 02:11 PM
I'm with you 100% on that one. I only go to Aquatropics for emergancy supplies if Ocean Exotics does'nt have what I need.

I'll have to look you up next time Im at Ocean Exotics, It would be nice to meet another RC member who is local to my area. I usually go 1-2 times a week if I can swing it. Ask Paul or Niki to point me out. My name is Chris and I have the little potters on hold till they can get me a small flame angel to go with it.

bertoni
02/14/2007, 04:33 PM
The nori or algae clip is a fine idea if you want to keep snails, and your snails will eat it. Also, you might be able to add enough food to keep the hermits full enough that they eat fewer snails. On a reef, I think there might be one hermit crab for some number of square yards, in terms of average density, so yours are really packed close together.

InvaderJim
02/14/2007, 05:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9241570#post9241570 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by A sea K
I'm with you 100% on that one. I only go to Aquatropics for emergancy supplies if Ocean Exotics does'nt have what I need.

I'll have to look you up next time Im at Ocean Exotics, It would be nice to meet another RC member who is local to my area. I usually go 1-2 times a week if I can swing it. Ask Paul or Niki to point me out. My name is Chris and I have the little potters on hold till they can get me a small flame angel to go with it.

Alright I will do that. I talk to Nikki all the time when I go in there, if you ask her about me (Jimmy) she will probably remember me. I go in there with my gf all the time and she brings her Chihuahua. lol I'll probably be making a visit fairly soon.

I didn't know that about hermits in the wild. I will get a algae clip and try that out. Thanks for the help!

A sea K
02/14/2007, 06:19 PM
I think I might have seen you before. I remember someone w/ a Taco dog(jk). My wife confirms this, recalls the dog was a puppy and the GF had the dog in her jacket.

The Nori thing works well for the hermits also, I tie some to a piece of rock and they find it no time.

I talked to Paul this afternoon and he is expecting my Flame on Friday so I'll probably be over on Fri afternoon to check him out.

Hope to see you there, Chris

InvaderJim
02/14/2007, 07:02 PM
Yep, that was my GF and her spoiled little puppy. haha That probably means I've seen you in there too then.

I might stop by there Friday if I get a chance. If so I'll probably see you there.

A sea K
02/14/2007, 08:22 PM
I,ll be looking for you. If its cold out I,ll be the guy in the overalls.