PDA

View Full Version : Glass Anemones

airjoe33
02/13/2007, 11:50 PM
I have had my tank for about two years now and everything is going great i just love it. But lately i have been growing those glass anemones. My LFS told me that i should get rid of them, but everytime i buy Joes Juice it just seems like they grow even faster. Is there anything else that i can buy to get them to go away? any certain fish that will eat them? Appreciate any help i can get.

GSMguy
02/13/2007, 11:51 PM
peppermint shrimp

airjoe33
02/13/2007, 11:54 PM
I have tried the peppermint shrimp but for some reason they dissappear within days i dont know if something eats them or they die?

Is it true that those glass anemones are bad for coral?

wilvivas
02/14/2007, 02:58 AM
sounds like a job for a CB. copper band butterfly.
they kick royal glass anemone butt! very picky eaters and will demolish your fan worm populations but they have great personality!

plateboy3293
02/14/2007, 10:00 AM
I had the sam e problem and I picked up a peppermint shrimp and all the glass anemones disappeared.

Chupacabras
02/14/2007, 10:04 AM
Pep's can be pretty shy, so you may not see them once introduced. I've gone easily a month before without any sign of my pep, thinking a BTA got it then get surprised when it comes out of the rocks at feeding time.

Just 'cus you can't see 'em, doesn't mean they aren't doing the work.

Edit: And yes, glass anemone's are bad for corals, they have a very nasty sting that can do a lot of damage to your livestock.

apayne
02/14/2007, 11:04 AM
I have had great success w/ Bergia Nudibranch. In about a month 4 bergia have totaly taken care of my aptasia (sp?) problem. and you don't have to wory about them eating any thing else because they only eat aptasias.
Good Luck,
Aaron

InvaderJim
02/14/2007, 11:28 AM
I tried a peppermint to control my aiptasia and it died overnight in my tank. :(

Chupacabras
02/14/2007, 12:40 PM
Well, sometimes that happens too.

gugo
02/16/2007, 05:04 PM
Had the same issue with glass anemones, got a Copperbanded Butterfly, but before it could get to it I saw the red legged hermits feasting on the anemones.

I know it sounds weird, and I have not seen this described in the literature, but my hermits took care of it. It might be because it was right after I cycled the tank with LR and LS and had the hermits in it while cycling (something to look at while waiting), but did not really feed them.