PDA

View Full Version : Bought a crashed tank. Need advice

viix
02/14/2007, 09:31 AM
I am buying a entire set-up which the owner said completely crashed do to a power outage. It is a 40g with about 100 lbs of live rock. I have seen pictures and the LR is covered in hair algae. I have a 15g tank right now that I would like to merge with the 40g in the next 1-2 months. Should I just scrub the rock and hope for the best or is there a better way to go about this.

rustybucket145
02/14/2007, 09:48 AM
Start with RO/DI water for sure.

AquaReeferMan
02/14/2007, 11:09 AM
I would cook the LR for about 4 weeks. This will kill off all the hair algae. If you just scrub it off it will come back. Get the tank cycling and once the rock is clean you can add it to the tank. Def use RO/DI water to keep the algae from coming back. If you need info on cooking rock lemme know I will give you a link.

Sk8r
02/14/2007, 11:29 AM
Actually the hair algae is a pretty hopeful sign: it is cycled and things are trying to come back. I'd set it up, let it run a week and test the water, see if it'll do a mini-mini-cycle in its newest incarnation and if it'll head for viability. I'd flush out the sand, if crushed coral I'd get new sand, at setup, and just wait. If hair algae starts up again, and it's 0 ammonia and nitrate, just add hermits and snails and you're running.

viix
02/14/2007, 02:42 PM
Ok this is what I'm thinking at this point. I'm going to examine the rock when I get it (I only seen pics). If it's all hair algae I'll take sk8r's advice but if I see bryopsis I'll cook it. Could I please get that link AquaReeferMan? Thanks all