PDA

View Full Version : Acro bleaching

arkie
02/14/2007, 12:35 PM
Sorry if i am asking a question that has already been addressed in the forum but the search function is temporary down.

an acro we bought about 3 weeks ago begin to bleach alone the bottom of the main stem. it was fine in the first two weeks. we couldnt think of what could have stressed it to bleach. the light intensity and water chemistry have remain quite stable. the only chemical we added in the last few days has been strontium - about 3 full caps. our tank is 90gal of mix reef and fish tank.

i am wondering if we should give it a 30min lugol dip.

any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tony

speedstar
02/14/2007, 12:42 PM
Good rule to follow is don;t dose anything to your tank you don;t test for. The sr has nothing todo IME with your porblem. It is probabbly a flow issue if STN from the base up.

Increase random flow to the coral. If it continues you may need to frag it.

RokleM
02/14/2007, 01:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9240772#post9240772 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by arkie
... bleach alone the bottom of the main stem ...

Just my thoughts quick, this sounds dangerously similar to AEFW. They typically start in darker spots, underneath, at the base, etc. Make sure there isn't any tissue recession or removal, and it is just actual bleaching.

Bebo77
02/14/2007, 03:50 PM
what are your water parameters? where do you have this coral placed in your tank?

woodworker1959
02/14/2007, 08:32 PM
I have had a similar problem which has advance quite slowly. On some of my frags the base where the tissue has encrusted over the epoxy it started to receed. About 1/16" a day. And sometimes stop.I have fragged the coral when this has happened. Can't understand and I test weekly my parameters are pretty good at:
Ph 8.3
Calcium 410
Alk 9.0 dkh
Nitrates @.2
Phosphates <.013
Temp between 77 and 79
Any Idears I'd love to hear it because I can't figure it out

Radiography14
02/15/2007, 04:49 PM
2 things to saltwater tank...water quality and lighting. lighting is something you can control. so if something is belaching then water changes help.