PDA

View Full Version : Rainford's Goby Experiences?

Blazer88
02/14/2007, 02:54 PM
I have been thinking of getting another small fish if possible. My current stock list is:
-pair of false percs
-Starry Blenny
-Yasha Shrimp Goby
-one firefish
-and finally a small Two-spot tang

Would the Rainford's goby be a good canidate for my tank? I would love to hear some experiences with this fish and if it would be compatible with my current stock. Is it out in the open very much? I am also considering a Candy Basslet but they seem difficult to come by. Thanks for any input!

A sea K
02/14/2007, 07:13 PM
I have one in my 65. I had to remove him from my 210 (Hectori goby tried to kill him. You would think a 210 would be big enough for these small fish but I guess not).

I think your only concern as far as tankmates would be the Starry blenny. They get kind of big and become territorial w/ other bottom dwellers. I would also worry about your Yasha w/ the Starry. It may become a problem in the future.

Our stocking lists are quite similar, heres mine;
-1) tru perc, 1)blk occellaris
- Tailspot blenny (stays small and is very peacefull)
-Hi-fin banded shrimp goby w/ Randall's pistol shrimp
-Firefish
-Rainford's goby

I truely enjoy watching this tank. The fish all get along and even the pistol shrimp feels secure enough to venture out on a regular basis. My clowns host in a BTA but only go there at night, rest of the time they cruise around and mingle with everyone else.

You will need a fairly healthy pod population and fine sand for the goby to sift, Mine has yet to aquire a taste for any storebought food that I offer.
He will occasionally go in the rocks, but stays out in the open most of time sifting sand for food (not a good sand sifting fish cause they're so small)

I give this fish 2 thumbs up. Good luck, Chris

MJSavage
02/14/2007, 07:54 PM
I agree with A Sea K on the Starry Blenny and the Rainford Goby too. The Rainford is a very peaceful fish and mine has never eaten any food I offer. It only sifts the sand but not enough to disturb it.

Blazer88
02/15/2007, 01:51 PM
So far the Starry has completled ignored all of the other fish in the tank. He will be out of the tank if he ever shows any aggression to my Yasha but I'm yet to witness anything. I also heard the Rainsford doesn't readily accept prepared food and will eat from the sand. My tank is two years old and I have tons of pods, I don't think that would be the issue.

Cinderblock
02/18/2007, 08:11 PM
I purchased one about a week ago for my 40g. He is the only fish in the aquarium at this point. I did some research on the rainfordi or old glory or court jester but it must not be as popular as I thought. There are only a few posts on this forum. At first he or she stayed in the front of the tank but now has made some burrows and figured out is way around its new home. It does not eat any food I have offered it but does pick at the LR and the substrate for any algae it can find. Its starting to get used to me and comes out during the day. Very interesting looking fish. It looks better now then when I got it as it is coloring up better and its fins are looking better than when I brought it home. I can tell its eating because its belly is looking much better than a week ago. Here is a picture on day 1.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/85685Sandy.JPG

MJSavage
02/19/2007, 09:09 AM
It looks stressed since his nose isn't yellow.

rekn
02/19/2007, 12:52 PM
ive had mine for nearly 2 years and he still doesnt eat prepared food. it eats cyano and film algae and has grown alot since day 1