PDA

View Full Version : Aptasia

paveni
02/14/2007, 03:32 PM
I have a 90 gal reef & fish tank about 160 lb. live rock.The tank is a year old. Coral and fish do well reef is establishing well. Problem is I am loaded with Aptasia. I have used a number of products which I must inject and they help. My problem is there are many spots I can't reach with a syringe. Is there any fish that will eat Aptasia. I am being overtaken! HELP!!!!!
Thanks Pat

sammyp
02/14/2007, 03:43 PM
peppermint shrimp and also nudibranch

rustybucket145
02/14/2007, 03:48 PM
if you have as much as you say you have a Copperband Butterfly fish will take care of them. But..... when they are gone the Copperband will usually starve to death. So it's a good idea to have another home lined up for him after he has done his job. :D

paveni
02/14/2007, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the advice. Will Peppermint shrimp or a Nudibranch eat coral? Also is here any commercial food that I could feed the Copperband Butterfly?

Zestay
02/14/2007, 04:03 PM
nudibrachs have been known to plow down some zoas
same with the shrimp.. but prolly can give em back to the LFS after the aptasia is gone

bertoni
02/14/2007, 05:06 PM
The Berghia nudibranchs and similar species that are sold for Aiptasia removal are fine, although they don't seem to get 100% of the anemones. They won't eat other animals.

mosesbrown
02/14/2007, 05:22 PM
I was told by a local fish store that there is a shrimp that is sometimes sold as peppermint shrimp that is actual a "camel shrimp" I beleive is the name I was told. They look very similar but the back on the camel is more pronounced. The camel is also more proan to eating things you want to keep. I just added some peppermint shrimp from that LFS and so far no problems, but they have not been in the tank for that long. Hope that helps.
Also, I once read that there is some difference in where the peppermint shrimp are from Atlantic Ocean or other location that can have some bairing on what the peppermint shrimp will eat. I appologize but I can't remember the details.

Does anyone else know about this? Inquiring minds want to know:)

hmello@bermexin
02/14/2007, 06:28 PM
Lysmata wurdemanni is the kind that eats aiptasia.

nick063
02/14/2007, 09:17 PM
peppermint shrimp but dont get discouraged if they dont eat it right away i noticed in my tank that they ate the aiptasia when the lights were off slowly but surely it disappeared

mosesbrown
02/14/2007, 09:19 PM
I was also told that if you keep you tank feed a lot that the shrimp will stay full on fish food, etc... and will tend not to the aptaisia as quickly.