PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Runner 3500

JTEAGUE
02/14/2007, 08:34 PM
I just puchased a Ocean Runner 3500 return pump for my 75 aga RR. It was between the Ocean Runner and a Mag 7. It really seems to work nice I'll just have to see what it does to the temp. Anyone else run Ocean Runner?

green814
02/14/2007, 08:49 PM
Yes & no. I have a 3500 in my trash can for mixing as I type. I have been very happy w/ it so far.
As soon as I get my black tubing Friday ( I hope ) I will have a 3500 for my return.
I am also going to use a 6500 for a c.l. & a 2700 for a diy skimmer when I get them built!
Chris

JTEAGUE
02/14/2007, 09:02 PM
So far the temp is steady at 80.1. This pump has quiet a kick compared to the Rio 2100 it replaced. Oh yea did I mention that Rio was 10 yes 10 years old. it still works I just wanted more flow!

davocean
02/14/2007, 09:09 PM
OR's are getting great reviews.
Cool and quiet.
A great deal right now too.
Use that Rio to mix new water.

Jeff
02/14/2007, 09:22 PM
I just ordered one plus a bulkhead kit thru Drs Forster/Smith. Big sale on them this week. I hope it is quiet. It is replaceing a Mag 7

JTEAGUE
02/14/2007, 09:28 PM
The Rio will work great mixing water. I did try one of the Rio hf 17's a few months ago and the tank temp rose to 84 in no time. I contacted Rio and sent the pump in for (testing) as the rep called it. He emailed me a week later and said he put it in a 40 gal and ran for 14 hrs with no temp change. He all but called me a liar and I was burnt on Rio from then on. However he did send me a Seio 820 to replace the new hf17 so I was satisfied.

davocean
02/14/2007, 09:33 PM
He did you a favor, Rio's have done alot of damage to many aquariums.
I'll NEVER put one in my tank!
OR's are great, alot of people use them.

kdblove_99
02/14/2007, 10:24 PM
I have a 3500. Its very Quiet and has never affected my temperature!
I love this pump

AZDesertRat
02/14/2007, 11:10 PM
I own 4 OceanRunners, 3 are in use and the 4th is a spare. Great pumps, my only complaint is they are kind of big but thats probably why they are so efficient.

JTEAGUE
02/15/2007, 07:57 AM
AZDesertRAt - I read they where huge, when I went and looked it was not as big as the website had said. I am very pleased.

davocean - No I did not particularly favor Rio's it just worked well and had ran so long with no trouble. I only became worried when I found RC and started studying. I was shocked and started looking for a replacement immediately

OO7
02/15/2007, 08:02 AM
for those of you running the OR, how many of you are running them externally? I'm considering one for a CL and like to hear some opinions on them for external operation.

JTEAGUE
02/15/2007, 09:36 AM
I run mine in the sump but it did come with connections and instructions to run exrenally. It did say it was not self priming and had to be placed below water level. Hope that helps.

AZDesertRat
02/15/2007, 12:31 PM
My 3500 on a closed loop is external.

RichConley
02/15/2007, 01:11 PM
For those of you making subjective judgements about "which pump heats the water more," you need to stop.

Flip the pump over. See that wattage rating? Thats exactly how much heat it adds to the water.

JTEAGUE
02/15/2007, 01:32 PM
RichConley - Who made a subjective judgement? We are stating our experiences, likes and dislikes. N o one said use this or else. Relax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JTEAGUE
02/15/2007, 01:41 PM
Flip the pump over. See that wattage rating? Thats exactly how much heat it adds to the water.

Ok my new Ocean Runner says 65 watts. Please tell me what 65 watts equates to as related to the temp? 65 watts equals how mant degrees?

AZDesertRat
02/15/2007, 02:08 PM
Ideally you want a pump that uses the least amount of wattage to move the same given amount of water. Anything more is lost energy which equates to heat generated. An example is the OR 3500 at 65 watts that pumps 900 GPH or whatever it is. Compare that to a Eheim which is a little higher wattage at the same 900 GPH. Next compare it to a Mag 9.5 which at a very slightly higher rated flow consumes and even greater amount of power. You can do a watts per gallon chart or graph and easily see which are the most efficient which again should equate to less heat gain.
In the real world we know not every manufacturers data is entirely correct and there is a little fudging going on. I am attempting to test as many pumps as I can lay my hands on under identical conditions. I have acquired a flow meter which is accurate from 1/4 GPM up to 2000 GPH along with a Kill a Watt meter, valves and piping, a 0-10 psi pressure gauge, an high quality digital thermometer and a tub to test them in. I just purchased a new OR 3500, already have a Rio HF20 and am going to borrow friends pumps for testing to see if I can come up with a more scientific method of buying pumps. I intend to test them at several points on the head curve from open discharge up to 10 feet or whatever thay are rated at and record flows, pressures, heat gain, noise and any other observations I can. It won't be perfect but I think it may answer a few questions we all have about which pumps are best for which applications. Right now I will only test submersible pumps just because that all I have access to but it may grow into external pumps also if I can find some to test. Should be a fun project!

Ten33
02/15/2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks for taking the initiative AZDesertRat, Im sure many people will be looking forward to and benefiting from your project. Good Luck!

JTEAGUE
02/15/2007, 04:55 PM
Ten33 - nice name. I can relate to that. CLEVER

ALEX007
02/15/2007, 04:57 PM
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO FIND A FLOW CHART FOR THE OCEAN RUNNER PUMPS??? I AM THINKING OF USING FOR RETURN PUMP FOR MY 120 WITH A 5FT HEAD

JTEAGUE
02/15/2007, 05:06 PM
Figured mine last night to around 620 gallons per hour with 3.5 - 4 ft head. It is a 3500 and rated at 910 gph. I think you can do a google search and get a flow chart.

green814
02/15/2007, 05:14 PM
Alex & Jt:
I don't remember where, maybe O.R.'s website, but there is a flow chart out there.

AZD:
How far below the water level do you have your c.l. pump? I am getting ready to plumb mine & wanted to keep it as high as possible, just didn't know the min.

CHris

AZDesertRat
02/15/2007, 05:57 PM
My closed loop pump sits on the stand directly behind my tank. I built my stand 6" deeper front to back than the tank so I could set my closed loop pump and ballasts behind the tank plus it gave me much more room underneath for my sump and other equipment.

green814
02/15/2007, 06:22 PM
AZDR:
That is scary about the stand! I have a standard 75g & the stand I got w/ it ( bought used tank & stand ) I modified so it is about 25" or so front to back. I have a 50g 36x18x18 that will be my sump/fuge.
I figured I would place it no lower than the bottom of the tank. You stated that your ballast are back there also? I have been thinking where I will put mine.
What size is the c.l. pump & what size intake did you use?
Thank you,
Chris

AZDesertRat
02/15/2007, 06:36 PM
The pump is an OR 3500. My tank is drilled in the back for the closed loop. I had a hole drilled in the exact center about half way down for a 1" bulkhead for the pump suction and holes in each upper back corner for the returns. These als ohave 1" bulkheads but are bushed down to 3/4" and use LocLine for the returns. This all goes through an Oceans Motions Squirt but until about a month ago I used a SCWD for 3 years with great sucess.

green814
02/15/2007, 06:50 PM
My tank isn't drilled soooo, I was going to use 1.5" for the intake w/ long sweep 90's. Then split the output into 2 scwd's w/ an output each rear corner & each front corner. I keep thinking an O.M., but have the scwd's & it is cheaper for now.
Thank you again AZDR.

To the rest thinking about the O.R.'s, I don't have a lot of experience w/ them, but as I posted before, the 3500 I have running so far I have been very happy w/, other than trying to remove the handle on it. I had a cast on for a stupid broken finger, so it was a PAIN!

I looked into quiet one pumps also, but heard a few things that steered me towards the O.R.'s.

JT: how are you setting up the return in the tank if it isn't drilled? A t w/ 2 outputs, a spraybar,etc?
Good luck to all & thank you,
Chris

AZDesertRat
02/15/2007, 06:56 PM
My Kill a Watt meter was in my mailbox when I got home this evening! Out of curiosity iI plugged my closed loop pump into it and it varies between 63 and 65 watts, thats basically open flow since it is a closed loop with a Squirt and not other restrictions.
I plugged my return pump into it which again is a 3500 with about 4.5 feet of head on it and it was 62 watts steady. This is not scientific but my first observations. I will stick the new 3500 in a "test pit" with a premeasured amount of water to recirculate and measure heat gain and the flow meter, gauge and valve on it this weekend and see how it does at different flows and heads. I got some new toys to play with!

green814
02/15/2007, 06:59 PM
It will be great to see how close the O.R.'s are rated for gph. It sounds like the wattage is very close though.
Thank you for info & keep us posted,
Chris