PDA

View Full Version : Fish Selection for a 220

grouper25
02/14/2007, 10:19 PM
I have a 220 set up for 4 months now which is thriving. It is mostly FOWLR with a few soft corals. It is aquascaped with some awesome Florida live rock which has about 8 differnt variations of plant growth. The tank will never be a full reef tank loaded with hard corals. My equipment is a MRC 3 skimmer, 72 inch Aquatinics T5 with 14 bulbs, 40 watt aqua UV, 50 gallon sump and the new Fluval X5 cannister filter which I fill with filter fiber, carbon and phosban. The parameters are all excellent and the water crystal clear.

To date , I have the following fish, all of which are peaceful and doing well.

*1 Rock Beauty
*3 Percula Clowns
*1 Pygmy angel
*2 male Lyretail Anthias
*1 Algae Blenny
*1 Shrimp Blenny
*1 Red scotter Blenny

In my QT, I also have a Purple Psuedo and Flame angel(3.5 inches) which will be ready to go in next week.

My wish list for future fish is as follow:

1 Powder blue tang
1 Regal Angel
3 Female Lyretails
1 Coral Beauty
1 Purple Tang.

I know the Regal is meek and timid while the PB is aggressive but my priority is the Regal of the list. The Rock Beauty rules the tank now and I fear how he might react to the newcomer Regal.

Anyone have anty thoughts on this?????? Also, what should be the priority of who gets added first.
Thanks Mates

Kahuna Tuna
02/14/2007, 10:41 PM
I'm curious how long you have had the rock beauty, they are nearly impossible to keep healthy in the long term. I would think the RB wouldn't tolerate a regal in its tank. I dont think the powder blue would be a problem if the regal was in and established first. I also find it odd that you have two male anthias that get along, I would think they would fight constantly. That purple pseudo may give all of the small fish a very hard time as well, they are very aggressive. I really think if you want a regal angel that rock beauty would have to go.

grouper25
02/15/2007, 05:27 AM
I have had the RB for two months and he is thriving and eating everything including modest amounts of sponge. Its natural habitat(Bimini) is much like( well kind of) the tank I have aquascaped. He has a great personality and is thriving but I am aware of the prospect fro long term success. The two male anthias are Ok although the larger does chase the smaller at feeding time. I hope to offset this with some females although it may spark more dominace and aggression. The purple psuedo is a model citizen and dosent chase anyone. Sorry to hear you don't think the RB and Regal will get along.

Thanks

Kahuna Tuna
02/15/2007, 08:20 AM
I could be wrong about the two angels but the Holacanthus genus is known for being seriously aggressive, especially towards other angels. On the plus side is the fact that the RB is about the mellowest of the genus. You may do well if the RB is eating sponge, from what I understand the reason most of them fail is a lack of proper diet. I have also heard a lot of anecdotal evidence regarding new life spectrum pellets and very hard to keep fish like regal angels, moorish idols, ect. It might be worth a try to see if your angel will eat this food. Good luck to you.

grouper25
02/15/2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks mate.