PDA

View Full Version : Hammer coral placement Q's

cowboyswife
02/15/2007, 08:47 AM
I read that its alright to place a hammer coral near a frogspawn, but does any one have personal experience when the 2 being near each other? I also read the hammers prefer to be placed near the bottom of the tank, so would be better being placed directly on the substrate or on LR? Thanks in advance! (double post)

phurst
02/15/2007, 09:26 AM
My hammer and frogspawn touch all the time. I had the hammer, frogspawn and torch near each other until my torch grabbed, ripped off and ate a tentacle from my hammer. Torch is now on the other side of the tank. I have seen them on tank bottoms as well as in the rockwork (mine is the latter). I think it's more dependant on lighting and flow. You may get better answers in the LPS forum.

cowboyswife
02/15/2007, 09:47 AM
Bad torch!! :) I posted this same thread in the LPS forum, and Im waiting for relpies. I was just hoping that I could keep the 2 aggressive corals close together so I can have more room for my softies. Right now, they are on opposite sides of the tank.

BodiBuilt
02/15/2007, 12:54 PM
I have two diffrent strain's of hammer/anchor coral in a mixed reef tank and as the colony's grow to large to remain safely in their current location without bothering their non-stinging neighbor's, I put on the glove's and break the colony into 2-3 headed frag's and search the tank for an appropriate spot to place new frag's where they will not harm other tank inhabitant's. As the display is quite full, I have placed hammer's in every location from directly into the sand bed (temporarly)...,lower/middle rockwork, to completly on top (2" from water surface). I have found that mine prefere the upper portion of my tank (approx. 2/3 up from bottom probably ideal). Being that you already have a hammer and a frogspawn, do not bring home a torch coral as they will "fight" as mentioned by phurst!
In general, it is alway's best to place (any) stinging coral far enough away from anything it may touch.

cowboyswife
02/15/2007, 02:03 PM
Thanks Bodibuilt! Great info!

rustybucket145
02/15/2007, 02:25 PM
I had a beautiful hammer in my tank. It stung and killed everything within a 6" radius of it. It would send out sweeper tentacles every night right after feeding time and just absolutely sting anything it could get it's hands on.

By the time I found a suitable home (LFS) it had killed two corals and badly damaged two others.

My advice.... Give them both lots of room! Don't put them next to anything you want to live for very long. Those sweepers must be pretty potent.