PDA

View Full Version : Dehumidifier water as top off?

slider162
02/15/2007, 05:26 PM
So I borrowed a friends TDS meter because I was worried that my RO/DI was in need of new filters. I also purchased a dehumidifier for the room that the aquarium was in. Well, my RO/DI is at 13-15 at the moment. The water coming out of my dehumidifier is at 27. I haven't run any other tests on the water coming out of the dehumidifier, but I also consider this to be distilled water so it should be free of any other contaminants. It produces about 1 gallon of water per day. Would it be okay to dump this into the sump for top-off? Reason being is that I mix my salt in the same 40G Brute container that run my RO/DI water into. I do have a timer on it but still consider it a pain to put a sepaarate bucket under the line, heat it up, and carry it into another room of the house to top off. I figure it would be more consistant to dump the 1 gallon of dehumidified water in ever day rather than dump 4-5 gallons of water ever 5-7 days. Any thoughts?

bertoni
02/15/2007, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't do it, because of fears of metal contamination. The chemistry forum has a lot of threads on this question.

slider162
02/15/2007, 05:29 PM
Ah, thanks.. didn't think about that.

lakwriter
02/15/2007, 06:53 PM
I asked this question once, and the response I got was that if the dehumidifed didn't use copper piping, fittings, etc, that it could probably be used. Never tried it though, as I couldn't tell whether my dehumidifer had anything copper in it.

slider162
02/15/2007, 07:51 PM
At this point, I have no idea what my dehimidifier is made of. I am extremely happy with it.

Amphiprion
02/15/2007, 07:54 PM
I would also be afraid of aerosol compounds, particles, etc. that are condensed from the air.