PDA

View Full Version : all glass 75 plumbing

rwsoos
02/15/2007, 06:18 PM
Just finished my sump and ready to start - Can anybody provide me with step by step instructions on how to run the flexible pipe from the threaded bards on the bulkheads. One from the return pump and the other to the sump. I purchase some flex pipe and gate valves from savko. What else do I need and how do I do it? (photos preferred). Thanks.

jer77
02/15/2007, 06:50 PM
To attach the hose I'd use some hose clamps, plastic ones on the return pump if its under water. Where do you want the gate valves?

rwsoos
02/15/2007, 06:59 PM
I assume after the return pump and the other one before the the drain pipe gets to the sump.

jer77
02/15/2007, 07:08 PM
Do the gate valves have hose barbs on them to connect the hose to them? If not you will have to add some. I don't really know where you need help, maybe a more specific question will help.

Indermark
02/15/2007, 08:17 PM
I just finished my 75 AGA and it was a pain. I ran a 5/8 I.D. tube from my EHEIM pump to a T that was to connect flexi hoses that were 3/4 I.D. I heated up the hose with boiling water and was able to slide on the 5/8 on the 3/4 T. I then ran a 3/4 flexi tube to the bulkhead. I added a ball valve to the T to slow down the flow. I really wanted to do PVC but since no one helped me I really didn't know what to get to make it work since the bulk heads or threaded.

Ryan

Indermark
02/16/2007, 12:14 AM
The last sentence I meant to say barbed not threaded.

Ryan

rwsoos
02/16/2007, 05:18 AM
Ryan - That's my problem. I have an Eheim 1260 pump as well. What did you run from the drain bulkhead? If you have the ability to post a picture I'd appreciate it. Thanks. Rob

rwsoos
02/16/2007, 09:08 AM
bump

Indermark
02/16/2007, 09:15 AM
I do have a camera ( at least 5 years old) but the program to load it on the camera doesn't work right. I'll see what I can do if I get time tonight. The water comeing down from the tank to the sump was the easiest I went to Lowes and found flexi tubing that was 1 1/4 O.D. and heated it up with boiling water and slide it onto the bulkhead. Make sure that the rubber gasket on the bulkheads is on the inside of the tank and not on the flange that you will tighten to secure it to the tank.

Ryan

Indermark
02/16/2007, 09:21 AM
actually i'm not sure about the 1 1/4 O.D because I took the bulkhead with me to lowes and found a flexi hose that would slide on it. I only needed 2 ft of it I bought the T at lowes as well it was by the spa pumps and very close to the hose as well.

Ryan

rwsoos
02/16/2007, 09:48 AM
Ryan - I really appreciate your help. I'll go to Lowes tonight. I assume that you used PVC glue along with the clamps? - Rob

Indermark
02/16/2007, 03:21 PM
No problem, I have been trying to wrap my brain aroudn this for a month now. I didn't use any glue or any clamps yet. I was going to use metal clamps but everything is so tight its almost pointless, I may change my mind however. I did use tank glue on the durso stand pipe because it was leaking water from the bottom. I smeared some on the inside and outside as well and then smoothed it out to look better.

Ryan

rwsoos
02/16/2007, 09:56 PM
Ryan - my lfs had me replace the stock 1 1/4 bulkhead so that I could insert a new barbed fitting so that i could secure the 1 1/4 id spaflex that I ordered from savko (the stock connection was too loose). He said that many purchasers of the all-glass rr tanks have experienced similar problems. I can't finish b/c my eheim pump shipment from premium aquatics won't get here until Monday b/c of the bad weather. Thanks again - Rob

Indermark
02/16/2007, 11:56 PM
No problem I'm glad I could help out a fellow reefer. I really needed the help as well and noone really wanted to help me but people do have better things to do than charity work I guess :rolleyes: :) . I have ordered 4 or 5 times from Premium Aquatics and usually it takes one day. I just ordered the ball valve I needed on 2/13 from them and it was scheduled for delievery 2/14 but I didn't get it that day, i got it the next day 2/15. The weather sure does slow UPS. It just started snowing here again at 9:00 pm Central time and there is all ready an inch and it doesn't look like it is slowly anytime soon. I got my EHEIM from them as well. The thought didn't occur to me that you want the flow through the sump to be slow and I thought the pump might be over kill since its 603 GPH. I was going to go with the pump below that did around 300 gph, but at the time talked myself out of it. Since I used a T on it it does sound slower coming down, I can't really tell without a gauge on the water coming into the sump. Its a VERY quite pump, the most noise from my tank is the pump to my skimmer. I really don't like how I have my tank set up but It works and I'm not going to fix something thats not broke. I'm sure i'll eventually switch over to PVC years from now or If I ever move the tank.

Ryan