PDA

View Full Version : coral eating amphipod? id w/macro pic

nismo driver
02/15/2007, 10:00 PM
i had about six clove polyps that were doing quite well disapear in the last day plus i have seen a very large increase in teh population of many types of copipods and amphipods in the last week. i dont have any fish just hermit crabs and an emerald crab and some snails so i dont think i have anything to control there population at this time.

is this a pest amphipod?(sp)

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/data/500/amphipod.jpg

dendro982
02/16/2007, 01:09 AM
Can't see picture.
Wrasses are helpful with controlling the small pods, particularly isopods in my nano-tank (ate them all) . Don't know about the smaller fish, like gobies.

palawan
02/16/2007, 01:19 AM
Mandarin goby should do it. Thats all they will eat.

graveyardworm
02/16/2007, 07:17 AM
I would be looking more closely at the clove polyps for a specific feeder. Perhaps a nudibranch or whelk of some sort. Then there's always the possibility that it could be one of the crabs.

How long have you had the polyps? A nudibranch would be disguised as a clove polyp and may be very dificult to spot.

Also do you feed the crabs?

NanoReefWanabe
02/16/2007, 10:12 PM
my blue chromis ate all my copepods/ amphipods...my tank was infested with them...most days it lit up white with little bugs swimming and running around....two weeks later and now i can only find them in the sanctuary of my fuge..