PDA

View Full Version : C-fish eggs clear?

David M
02/15/2007, 11:20 PM
I have a pair I recently aquired from a reef guy who said they spawned regularly. Sure enough within the first month I noticed a small nest, maybe 25 eggs, that were obviously a few days old. This made no sense as this is the BIGGEST female ocellaris I've ever seen and dwarfs my largest. So tonight she put down a nest and sure as heck it is HUGE !!! The problem is the eggs are totally clear, no color at all, I've never seen this. The male does not seem to be tending.

I always assumed the color was the the natural color of the egg and had nothing to do with fertilization, am I wrong? Might these just be unfertilized?

Baboon_Science
02/15/2007, 11:49 PM
David
From experience with FW fish, I would say yes they are unfertilized.
The other option is that the female layed eggs with little to no yolk. Lots of eggs with little storage products. Does the egg have any sort of translcent material inside?
That would be why the male appears to have abandoned them.
Let us know if they start to develop at all. I for one would be interested.
John

Peter Schmiedel
02/16/2007, 12:33 AM
David,

I would also believe that the color indicates that there is no yolk in the eggs - that would indicate malnutrition. I am sure after enjoying your food mix she will improve soon and produce large fit nests.

Luis A M
02/16/2007, 11:05 AM
I disagree.My ocellaris pair produces clear eggs no matter what I feed them.Yet they develop OK.I suspect egg colour is totally irrelevant,against popular belief.

Noof
02/16/2007, 11:54 PM
I am with Luis on this one. I see egg colours ranging from pink to white to orange. It seems to make little difference and I have raised batches from all colours with similar results. I would be interested to hear how they go David.

Noof
02/16/2007, 11:59 PM
Adding to my comments above I believe that unfert. clowns eggs are a cloudy colour like they have fungus and the parents will pick them off as soon as they see them.
There are always three or four in batches I see. Then the next day...... gone