PDA

View Full Version : will a suncoral eat this?

Indermark
02/16/2007, 01:21 AM
I was curious if tubestrea will eat any pods? I havent feed mine in almost 5 days and I know I have a bunch in there to snack on if it does. I havent feed it anything because I am having a outbreak of small snails that will not go away, I am trying to limit the snails food. Right before I turn off the lights they start to come out by the hundreds. Any suggestions on them as well will be helpful.

Ryan

sparks56
02/16/2007, 01:32 AM
sun's will not eat pods, too large. you need to feed cyclopeze @ 3 times a week:thumbsup:

sparks56
02/16/2007, 01:34 AM
oh yea be thankful for the snails & enjoy the freebies!!:D

Jeff
02/16/2007, 05:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9255518#post9255518 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sparks56
sun's will not eat pods, too large. you need to feed cyclopeze @ 3 times a week:thumbsup:

Huh? Sun corals can eat large silversides the size of minnows. The best way to keep the healthy and spreading is meaty food daily...
I think you were thinking of another type of coral.

Jeff

SEAFLOWERS
02/16/2007, 08:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9255809#post9255809 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Engine 7
Huh? Sun corals can eat large silversides the size of minnows. The best way to keep the healthy and spreading is meaty food daily...
I think you were thinking of another type of coral.

Jeff

they will eat Cyclop-eeze.

twon8
02/16/2007, 09:22 AM
ive seen a tubestrea eat a peppermint shrimp, they will eat anything they can swallow, which includes things much larger than pods

sparks must be thinking of something else.

Indermark
02/16/2007, 09:58 AM
I thought they would eat them but I really need to do something about these snails as they are very small and white and there are literally hundreds in a 12 gallon nano. I cut the feeding to the tubestrea because its messy to feed. I'm gonna got to figure something out. I just dont see anygood having that many tiny snails.

Ryan

twon8
02/16/2007, 10:06 AM
they are beneficial, they will eat algae and detritus,

Minhle100
02/16/2007, 10:17 AM
sun corals can eat things that are larger then them. i have two sun corals and one night i saw one eat a piece of shrimp that was intended for some other things in my tank. the piece of shrimp was larger then the tube of the coral. when it stuck to the tentacles the sun coral slowly bulged in size and started to eat the piece of shrimp. it stayed bloated for several hours.

DiViNeLeFT
02/16/2007, 10:23 AM
the snails sound like Collonista snails... do they look like the ones pictured about 3/4 of the way down this page?

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rs/index.php

i have a ton of them in my tank and they are very benificial. according to what i have read on these snails they could replace all algae grazers in a system if there are enough of them.

as for the sun polyps, i have yet to see mine capture a pod... but i dont watch my tank a lot at night. they can definitly open up enough for pods though. mine will eat krill if a shrimp or hermit doesnt rob them.

wantsalotta
02/16/2007, 11:38 AM
you should use a feeding cup to feed your sun coral, that is remove it from the tank when you want to feed it. Nutrient problem solved.

leveldrummer
02/16/2007, 03:27 PM
either cup feed it like he said above, or use large enough food so your not spreading it all over the tank, cut up some silver sides, or raw shrimp, and drop one piece on each polyp, and wait for it to pull the whole thing in, your probably have a snail explosion because there is enough food for them all.

kingfisher62
02/16/2007, 04:13 PM
Those snails don't look like this ,do they? Cause they are parasitic .I am talking about the little white ones hitch hiking on the turbo.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/Kingfish62/PyramidellidSnails.jpg

Indermark
02/16/2007, 04:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9259951#post9259951 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kingfisher62
Those snails don't look like this ,do they? Cause they are parasitic .I am talking about the little white ones hitch hiking on the turbo.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/Kingfish62/PyramidellidSnails.jpg

They are that small but the shell is different. The shell is short and rounded. I wish my cameras software on the computer would work correctly so I could post a picture. 'm going to start taking the sunpolyps out of the tank to feed them.

Thanks everyone,

Ryan

Crazysps
02/17/2007, 06:46 PM
I have seen a sun coral eat a fly before. hahaha.....
so they will eat jsut about anything