PDA

View Full Version : Fragging candy cane coral?

MrSpiffy
02/16/2007, 02:46 PM
I have a candy cane coral that I'm interested in fragging. It's actually quite small, right now, only having 5-6 polyps. The problem is that one large polyp always overhangs another, not allowing it any light. There's a Y-shaped spot where I could split it up into two frags, but there's some soft tissue connecting the two sides together. Can I simply slice through the tissue and allow it to heal up? Or is that a bad idea? And if I can frag it apart that way, what's the best way to cut through the hard base? I've heard dremel tools are good, but what do you recommend?

Thanks!

someguynamedG
02/16/2007, 02:57 PM
personally I think they are a no brainer to frag. I had a fairly large colony(30-50 heads) that had a rock dropped on it (after my maroon bit my hand while I was holding the rock). The colony broke into three pieces and now I have 3 colonies. IMO just breaking off the stems as for down as you can seems to work. I couldnt imagien that not working.

rustybucket145
02/16/2007, 03:14 PM
Break it like you would a twig. If it's to hard you can use some heavy duty wire cutters, also kown as 'dikes'

DSMpunk
02/16/2007, 05:44 PM
Candy canes are pretty hardy and you probably could cut throught the flesh and it would probably recover. When you cut through the flesh that way there is always the possibility of infection though.

Is there any way you can postition it so the big polyp isnt shading anything?

MrSpiffy
02/17/2007, 03:52 PM
Well, I can give it a shot. It doesn't have much for a base, though, so it tends to roll off the rock and I have to put it back. I'm tempted to glue it down, but I don't want to permanently attach it. I could always glue it to a smaller rock to keep it in place.