PDA

View Full Version : how to make a DIY surface skimmer

CorbetJackson50
02/16/2007, 04:20 PM
I was wondering i i could make a surface skimmer i understand i could make an overflow but i use a hob fuge that has a small power head pumping water up to the fuge, i use no mechanical filtration or chemical, i am starting to get a film on the water surface.

sammyp
02/16/2007, 06:28 PM
construct some sort of box around the pump so that the water has to spill into it.
hth

aninjaatemyshoe
02/16/2007, 06:37 PM
If your pump is small enough, you could use one of those hang-on plastic specimen cups (the ones you see at LFS that they use to collect fish when they are selling them). All you'd have to do is cut some slots in it.

RandyStacyE
02/16/2007, 08:47 PM
I think you would be much better off using an overflow and a sump. You could just use a siphon overflow for surface skimming. You can continue to drive water to your HOB fuge just as you are.

You could start out using a rubbermaid or Steralite sump. You wouldn't believe how convenience a sump adds to your system. You can put your skimmer down there, your heater and well ... just about everything.

CorbetJackson50
02/16/2007, 09:07 PM
like i said my hob fuge is 40g it houses my skimmer and heater, underneath my tank i have a 25g trash can and my ro system the trash can stays toped off and has a return pump wired to a switch to top off the tank