PDA

View Full Version : My RBTA continues to get smaller

mnestroy
02/17/2007, 01:37 AM
When I first got my rose he was huge, since then starting getting smaller. (6months ago his arms were 8+inches, now maybe 1.5inches)

I did have some Nitrate issues where they climbed up to 40 and over the past several weeks i have did some major water changes and goten them back down to zero, where they have been at 0 for over a week.

I have been feeding him silversides, i was wondering if there is something else I can try?

Also how do you avoid other inverts from stealing the food? Is like even if the food is half way past his mouth some hermit crab or a bristle worm will snag it right out of his mouth, I almost have to watch with a stick for 10minutes just flinging hermit grabs off his rock :)

I guess I'm trying to find out how to nurse him back to full health. He hasnt lost any color yet he just doesnt inflate himself as big as he used to.

Any ideas,

1. What else can i try feeding him? Maybe Silversides is not his favorite food :)
2. How often should I feed him?

kurt72
02/17/2007, 02:06 AM
i am not sure about the tentacle length, but as far as feeding goes, you may have to watch and chase away anything trying to eat it's food. i just got some new maroon clowns. my false percs weren't hosting my BTA. didn't they would. now my maroons, when I feed, take foof to my BTA, then they eat. and they seem to do a good job keeping other fish/animals away.

do you have any clowns for your RBTA?

mnestroy
02/17/2007, 10:37 AM
two clowns, but none will host it yet.

Uploadead
02/17/2007, 12:18 PM
maybe your lights need changing. They expand in higher light, but as the light ages vice versa will happen.

catdoc
02/17/2007, 12:51 PM
Maybe it's spitting out the food and not actually digesting it? If you feed too big of a portion, it'll hold it inside for a while and then spit it out undigested. If this is possible, maybe try feeding tiny portions.

55semireef
02/17/2007, 04:44 PM
What kind of lighting do you have?

mnestroy
02/18/2007, 01:51 AM
36 inch Current USA Outer Orbit 1x150W 10K HQI-MH w/ 2x96W Dual Actinic & 4 Lunar Lights

The rock he was on when I first brought him home was off to the side (not under the 150W bulb)

2 weeks ago (long after he started to become small) I move the rock to center of tank directly under the 150 bulb.

I haven't seen any improvement or worsen since i moved him.

mnestroy
02/18/2007, 02:46 AM
I bought some frozen krill today, he wasn't to wanting of that either.... I guess i'll just keep trying every few days, I mean u can't force feed them right? (well maybe u can, i thin i've read of this being done, but I think more could go wrong)

thelostrican
02/18/2007, 01:17 PM
dont force her, just place a small chunk of silver side near here tentacles, and put a net over it while she eats....

you can also turn off the powerheads and take a mysis and do the same thing...

samuels
02/18/2007, 03:42 PM
try scallops. my RBTAs love them, and they've split many times.

mnestroy
02/18/2007, 05:09 PM
What about flow, do I want my powerhead pointed towards it (its about 25inches away Nano Stream) do i want his arms to be moving (if so how much rapidly, or none?)

I will post a pic soon hopefully that will give u a better idea.