PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Help

ScottS
02/17/2007, 11:44 PM
I know guys,
This has more than likely been asked a thousands Times. But I am Up grading to a 240 gallon tank and my ASM G-2 just is not going to cut it.

In your opion whats the best (Bang for your buck) ,out of sump skimmer. I know that leaves out alot of good skimmers but I need a footprint under 8 1/2" x 12 1/2" so alot of sump models won't work . Of course if it would fit recommended it. I like the geo skimmers , But really would like to get buy a little more affordable,as I had to really push the wife into the Tank Upgrade to begin with.
"Honey we can do it and really won't cost anymore than a few bucks here and there.Besides our tang getting big and would be sooooo much happier."

I have not been following the hype lately and am really not sure whats out there that good and what to definitly stay away from.

Thanks ScottS

UCanDoIt
02/18/2007, 12:13 AM
Believe it or not, you have asked one of the most confusing and controversial question. Confusing, because skimmer companies who are optimistic, make ratings on their products much higher than what they can handle and you don't really get what you expect. Controversial because many hobbyist will argue that the skimmer they're using is the best based on their limited experience with different skimmers and usually also base their knowledge on manufacturer's specs rather than experience. Manufacturer's specs don't mean a whole lot if the body diameter, column height, riser tube diameter and location height of the pump is not balanced to the pump. The pump is what makes the skimmer, but the engineering needed to balance the skimmer to the pump is more cruicial than just slapping a good pump onto any old skimmer body. Unless you are quite familiar with a particular skimmer line, manufacturer's specs should be taken with a grain of salt.

You ask everyone to make any suggestion on skimmers to avoid, but you're going to get some who swear that's the best skimmer they've ever used. Also, you mentioned an upgrade to 240g tank, the first thing I look at before any upgrade is what skimmer and lighting will I be using on that new tank and if I cannot afford to invest money in those 2 items, I cannot afford the upgrade as those are on the top of my list of the most important piece of equipment to get, more important than the tank. When you skimp in either area in the short run, you waste a lot of money in the long run. I hope this enlightens the subject matter a little bit. :) With that said, see if this would work for an in sump:

ATI BM200 Internal $529
Clearance Needed: 13" x 9.5" x 21.25"
Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.5" x 19.2"

For an external unit, I really like the H&S A200-1260 or Deltec AP851, but based on what you wrote above, these are probably more than your budget as it is double what the ATi BM200 costs. Others can chime in on their suggestions to help you... good luck!

ScottS
02/18/2007, 12:30 AM
UCanDoIt

You ask everyone to make any suggestion on skimmers to avoid, but you're going to get some who swear that's the best skimmer they've ever used. Also, you mentioned an upgrade to 240g tank, the first thing I look at before any upgrade is what skimmer and lighting will I be using on that new tank and if I cannot afford to invest money in those 2 items, I cannot afford the upgrade as those are on the top of my list of the most important piece of equipment to get, more important than the tank. When you skimp in either area in the short run, you waste a lot of money in the long run. I hope this enlightens the subject matter a little bit.

I know This is very controversial question. I also have the lights in place 3 ro111 250DE wt 14k bulbs and either vho or t-5 supplements,also 2 lumeric minis with 10k, Whichever of these are not used will be sold. I have all pumps accounted for too, Dart,Hammerhead and wd 55rlt. I know the skimmer is very important and even know the manufacture suggest 200 gallon on my ASM G-2, This will not do. Thats is why I have the g-2 on a 90 gallon.with all that out.

I thank you very much for your concern and although I want to get buy as cheap as possible. Cheap has never really worked for me in this hobbie. I really was looking for input such as yours as to some more choices on skimmers.without getting into the $1000.
Thanks For taking the time to read this thread and reply.

ScottS
:)

kodyboy
02/18/2007, 01:41 AM
An octopus nw200 or nw250 would be about the lowest I would go on your aquarium. Octopus probably has the best bang for the buck right now. Another option would be two nw200s for around $400. A lot of skimming for cheap. An ASM G4+ would also work, but the octos are cheaper.

ScottS
02/19/2007, 12:04 AM
Bump for more suggestions.

Thanks to all that have left there 2cents.

Gundo5000
02/19/2007, 12:06 AM
I second an octo if you want a good bang for buck. I love my nw150.

McCrary
02/19/2007, 12:19 AM
Reef Octopus skimmers are definitely high on the bang for the buck list (if not the highest). The ATI BubbleMaster is also one to look at, results were initially very favorable, but some have had issues with skimmate production (mostly getting it dry) and other things.

skairik
02/19/2007, 12:21 AM
To avoid the risk of starting a debate about "brand name" skimmers and their supposed superiority/inferiority over other skimmers I will refrain from suggesting a specific make & model. I will however recommend a "type" of skimmer: re-circulation. And if you want to avoid the added cost of running another pump (inital investment and long term electrical consumption) look for a re-circulation design that also allows the skimmer to be gravity fed. With this method you'll be able to plumb your overflow directly into the skimmer, thereby allowing you to utilize the skimmer (minus the extra pump) to it's maximum performance rating. I'm using this method with great results.