PDA

View Full Version : Aragonite dust in water bad for inhabitants?

Fmellish
02/18/2007, 01:12 AM
I just set up another tank, and I decided to try aragonite sand this time.

I noticed the sand was very dusty and after adding it to the water my water is milky, and I'm sure will continue to be so for a while until the dust settles.

I am wondering if this milky water inhibits the ability of my fish to breath? Yes I added the sand after the fish.

Is this temporary murk dangerous for the animals?

Cheers
Josh

TekCat
02/18/2007, 01:16 AM
I do not believe it would harm animals. After all during storms in the oceans water gets quite dusty, so fish had to adapt. jmo

Amphiprion
02/18/2007, 01:17 AM
It is not an issue. Fish and most corals are very tolerant of this.

Fmellish
02/18/2007, 01:21 AM
Thank you guys :)

I could have rinsed the aragonite first, but didn't have any spare RO water, and I didn't want to rinse it in tap and then introduce all that tap water into my system, so I just poured all the dry aragonite into my tank and man all my pumps are now caked with the dust, it is too fine to remove, even my filter sponge doesn't catch it. So all I can do it wait for it to settle.

It's good to hear the fish shouldn't mind. It sucks to think that the top 1/4" of my sand bed will be this settled powder. Any ideas for how to remove it after it all settles? Or will it just get absorbed into the sand and I shouldn't worry about it?

Thanks again
Josh

Amphiprion
02/18/2007, 01:23 AM
I always add unrinsed sand. The finer particles are favored by infaunal organisms. It should sift to the bottom, anyway.

Fmellish
02/18/2007, 01:28 AM
That makes me feel better :)

Thanks
Josh

TekCat
02/18/2007, 01:52 AM
A micron filter should catch most of the dust.

I use my canister with micron cartrige to polish up water after I stir up sand bed to remove some crap collected in it.

Fmellish
02/18/2007, 01:56 AM
I should dig out my canister and see if it has a micron filter in it.

Thanks
JOsh