PDA

View Full Version : Good as Dead?

thecichlidpleco
02/18/2007, 05:29 PM
I recently bought some zoas on ebay which set me back quite a bit. However, being in the midwest, we got a lot of that snowstorm and UPS dropped the ball on the shipment and got it to me three days late, overnight by 3pm my @$$. Anyway here they are , I know they are subpar photos, but could I get an honest opinion about whether they will make it or not?
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e196/thecichlidpleco/100_0517.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e196/thecichlidpleco/100_0518.jpg
When I got them, they did smell foul and some have this extra bubble jelly coat suurounding the heads.

ficklefins
02/18/2007, 06:26 PM
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I think that the next week or so should really give you a good idea of what the final outcome will be.

From your pictures this is what I see:

Some times zoas will almost shed their outside layer, to save the polyps inside. No matter how well you picture things it will be tough to tell until that outside white layer is gone. I've had this happen with new zoas and some have been good while others were pretty much dead.

The key will be when you get to see the polyps. If they look plump then you are in the good range, but if they look shriveled, like raisins, then you may be in for a loss. :(

Hope this info helps, but I would move them into an area with moderate flow and low-moderate lighting. The moderate flow will help to blow off any dead skin and the low-moderate (lower than moderate) will help to give them something for energy.

Good luck.

twon8
02/18/2007, 06:50 PM
there is certainly a chance they will recover

edwing206
02/18/2007, 06:54 PM
just curious, what kinda zoos are they?

dc_909
02/18/2007, 07:42 PM
The second pic looks like they will pull through

TriniReefer
02/18/2007, 08:00 PM
Don't worry they will come through i had a few of those my self do as fickle fins said and move it into moderate flow and moderate lighting and just leave em be.

zolovinglover
02/18/2007, 08:16 PM
No single polyps will survive, sorry to burst your bubble after folks tried to heighten your spirits.

zolovinglover
02/18/2007, 08:19 PM
Before I forgot, always try to use FedEx, they are much more reliable than UPS. I honestly can't think of a single time UPS came through with a delivery of corals without a hitch of some kind.

zolovinglover
02/18/2007, 08:19 PM
Before I forget, always try to use FedEx, they are much more reliable than UPS. I honestly can't think of a single time UPS came through with a delivery of corals without a hitch of some kind.

thecichlidpleco
02/20/2007, 02:46 PM
This is all what I ordered and all that will be lost:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e196/thecichlidpleco/c7e3_12.jpgBeetlejuice

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e196/thecichlidpleco/2891_12.jpg greenich

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e196/thecichlidpleco/7aec_12.jpg mini-jokers

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e196/thecichlidpleco/6dcf_12.jpg rubix

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e196/thecichlidpleco/4f2d_12.jpg Bam-Bams

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e196/thecichlidpleco/2a57_1.jpg Wild Orchids

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e196/thecichlidpleco/fb43_1.jpg Red Thunders

dc_909
02/20/2007, 03:05 PM
Bummer

dwdenny
02/20/2007, 03:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9275378#post9275378 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zolovinglover
No single polyps will survive, sorry to burst your bubble after folks tried to heighten your spirits.

Would like to know how you can say this with so much confidence that they will die? There is always a possibility that some can survive. Remember Zoas tolerate a lot but not sure if they can tolerate that much.

I do hope some will pull through for youthecichlidpleco.

edwing206
02/21/2007, 02:22 AM
seriously. i have had some pretty beaten up zoos recovered just fine. just keep blowing off all the gunk on them.

dustin Combs
02/21/2007, 03:02 AM
Man sorry to hear that!! Have you talked to Zoafrags?

zeppelin
02/21/2007, 05:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9275392#post9275392 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zolovinglover
Before I forgot, always try to use FedEx, they are much more reliable than UPS. I honestly can't think of a single time UPS came through with a delivery of corals without a hitch of some kind.

The opposite for me. Fed Ex drop kicked so many packages, I swore them off for life. UPS has been great with the last few hundred deliveries. ;) Whenever possible, I use USPS Express though. Overnight by Noon or 3:00 for about $25 shipping.

That said, there is definitely a chance the zoos will make it. Although they dont look great turning the greyish brown stalks that I see in the pics. Good luck. ;)

rsteagall
02/21/2007, 09:32 AM
How are the zoos doing? Did you increase flow like what was suggested?

thecichlidpleco
02/21/2007, 10:52 AM
flow has been continued, but i know there is something wrong when my serpent star starts to munch on them.

twon8
02/21/2007, 11:39 AM
the seller should work with you on them and replace with you paying shipping. that is what i have done in the past.

RobbyG
02/21/2007, 11:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9275378#post9275378 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zolovinglover
My experience also :( when they look like that on arrival, everything has died. I am sure some people have gotten lucky but not me.

thecichlidpleco
02/21/2007, 03:12 PM
I have talked to zoafrags and he said he will take care of me on my next order. We both sent emails/questions to UPS. The answer I got back was our guarentee does not apply when weather is the reason for the delay. I can understand that, sure. I only paid $55 to have it next day air by 3 p.m., okay I can understand a delay. What I do not understand is that the only delay listed was a three hour weather delay in Oakland. Three hours should not correlate to three days. That was the only delay listed on my tracking information. Granted, we did have terrible weather here in Ohio, but everyday, I recieved word from the tracking information that it would be here on the that day and weather would not be a factor. This occured from 2/13, 2/14. and 2/15. Every single one of those days stated that I would recieve the package that day. It was not until the stroke of midnight that they would change the delivery date to the next day. They jerked me around, and I was unhappy with their service, and when I told them this all they could do was say that the shipper would be the only person getting the refund. Which basically told me they do not wish to speak to me anymore, so do not bother complaining. I am now a FedEx or DHL man. Any experiences besides zeppelin?

RobbyG
02/21/2007, 03:33 PM
You really just got unlucky. I would be PO'd in your position also, but I guess there is no one to blame but the Weather. But on the other hand, I would think that a huge shipping company would have insurance to cover these problems.

tiffrobbins
02/21/2007, 04:37 PM
I hate to turn this into a shipping thread rather than a zoa thread, but thecichlidpleco did ask for other experiences. I work in a job that deals primarily with shipping (both going out and coming in). My best experience is UPS. They do occasionally drop the ball and drop it well. But their drivers are professional and the tracking is reliable. We have on several occasions seen the FedEx delivery guy taking naps in his truck and the DHL guys lie on their tracking information about delivery times and signatures. Just my $.02.
On a happier note, I'm glad the supplier is working with. Those are some beautiful specimens you picked.

zeppelin
02/21/2007, 05:16 PM
You have to admit, the 13th, 14th, and 15th had TERRIBLE weather here in Ohio. My parents live up in the Sandusky area (only about an hour west of Toledo), and had 4' snow drifts in their driveway in the country, the evening of the 14th. I know Toledo got hit HARD too. Allot worse than we did down here in central Ohio. That said, I got a shipment on the 13th from UPS in the a.m. with no delays.

Glad the seller is working with you. :)

clowninaround74
02/21/2007, 09:43 PM
i would say that if they continuiously told you that weather wouldnt be a factor then they are still responsible for the death of the zoa's (how are they doing??) I mean if they would have came out and said hey i dont think your going to get these for a few days because of the weather then it would be a different story but since they didnt then i would say they should be responsible for it.

Just my opinion

thecichlidpleco
02/22/2007, 11:15 AM
Thank you for seeing it my way, but the zoas are done for. I may be able to save about 5-7 different polyps out of a 60+ polyp purchase. Anyone else take $400 baths, not as nice and refreshing as one would think.

650-IS350
02/22/2007, 11:57 AM
I've lost about $200 in zoo's, got eaten up by large ampipods.. 6-8 whole colonies...