PDA

View Full Version : Help with a new Colt Coral ?

CnLHolman01
02/18/2007, 11:14 PM
I just purchased my first coral, a colt Sat, I brought it home and acclimatized it for 15 min to water temp in bag, 5 min later added a 1/2 c water from tank to bag repeated every 5 min for 30 min. Looked great and went ahead and added to the tank, nice and inflated, coral didn't slime up like I had read they could. Looked great last night. Had water checked at lfs and said the water was perfect.
Today it looks all deflated, looks like one of the branches has a tear in it. The lady I bought the coral from secured it to a rock using a hypodermic needle, was told this is how you "help" attach them to rocks. The hole where the needle went through was not visible yesterday, but today the hole is very large. Am I hurting the coral or is it just adjusting to the new tank? The coral is still slimy and not producing alot of "slime".

CnLHolman01
02/19/2007, 08:44 PM
Okay so I was looking at my tank last night and trying to figure out what to do about my pathetic colt. Out of the blue my domino damsel goes to the colt and begins to pick at it, didn't even cross my mind. Well the two damsels are now out of the tank and into qt, I'll take them to lfs tomorrow. The coral looks much better today. I took the needle out and let it lay in a darker corner with lighter flow and today it has puffed up (still a little deflated but not anything like the other day). The polyps on the coral are out, and the "tears" are looking like they are healing, the hole from the needle is completely closed up. Hopefully it will grow into a beautiful coral.

gillianandjoe
02/19/2007, 08:53 PM
I would reduce the flow. Just keep an eye on it if you do, if it starts getting slimy, put it back into higher flow. My colt attached firmly after two days in low flow. Good luck.

Joe