PDA

View Full Version : Red Cyno-bacteria

hebdo27
02/19/2007, 12:35 PM
Hi,

I'm getting some patches of red cyno bacteria on my substrate. It is not crazy out of control but in the morning with the lights come one there is nothing...then after about two hours there are full thick patches of the stuff. Once the light goes off and about 2 hrs afterwards it is gone. What's causing it? It it from the light cycle. I have removed it by hand a couple of times but it always comes back. The patch areas affected are the only areas to have it...the other areas of my tank don't have it at all?

Does anyone have a solution on how to get rid of it for good. Thanks in advance.

90 gal + 30 gal sump
water perameters perfect
only got 5 little fish and mostly corals (SPS, LPS, softies)
ETSS 600 skimmer
2 X 250W MH 10K

pretty simple system.

Craig Lambert
02/19/2007, 12:49 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=725686&highlight=thread+on+cyanobacteria

webbstock
02/19/2007, 01:44 PM
Lower your nutrients and increase your flow. Even though your tests say there is no nitrate etc, that is what the cyan is thriving off of, it is just using it up as son as it is made.

hebdo27
02/19/2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks guys.

My flow is already crazy..90 gal with two Seio 2600 and one Seio 1100! Everything whips around but not enough to stir up the substrate to much.

Should I stop feeding my fish for a couple of days. I have two small tangs (yellow and Hippo), one six line wrasse, one flame angle, two false percs and one scooter blemmy. That's it..they are all small too..biggest is the yellow tang at only 3 inches.

hebdo27
02/19/2007, 06:55 PM
ohhh...thanks again for the link Craig...good stuff.