PDA

View Full Version : A quick question about a crazy TDS reading

plyle02
02/19/2007, 01:15 PM
I have a 4 stage ro/di unit that seems to be working fine. It has tested at consistently 0 on the meter. However, i decided to set up a top off system using a container w/ ro/di water only, which was once used to top off with Kalkwasser. I felt I had rinsed well, but for sh--s and grins, I decided to test the water I have been topping off in my tank only to get a reading of 1233! Is that possible, my tap only reads 138 on the TDS. Coincedentally, I have been testing higher than normal on phosphates. Could I have contaminated the container, and could this be one of my issues concerning phosphates? Any advice on my high tds reading, and advice on how to properly sterilize this container would be much appreciated.
Perry

shag26272
02/19/2007, 01:17 PM
are you sure youre not using the waste line on your RO/DI?

plyle02
02/19/2007, 01:28 PM
Oh yea,
I tested staight from the output line yesterday, which I use to refill the 5 gallon container I have been using to top-off. I tested 0 on out put line. I thought maybe some Kalk residue must not have been rinsed out properly. Before using, I rinsed several times with tap, then several time with ro/di, putting the cap on the container, and shaking vigoursly. The reading struck me as odd only cause my tap tests much lower that the reading I was getting. Thanks
Perry

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/19/2007, 03:07 PM
It doesn't take much to get 5-10 ppm TDS, but it takes a lot more to get more than a thousand ppm TDS. What sort of container is it?

plyle02
02/19/2007, 11:55 PM
A standard 5 gallon plastic jug that I purchased from an LFS, it was originally used to top off Kalk, don't know if some left over residue would cause a wacky reading like that, I will leave it to you Randy....lol...

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/20/2007, 06:55 AM
Residue might, but it would take a fair amount of it. But that is most likely what happened somehow.

plyle02
02/20/2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks Randy,
I too think it was the culprit, I am only irrated with myself that I have been using this as make up water.... Hmmmm, maybe that's why my phosphates are testing higher than usual...
Thanks again for quick responses all...

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/20/2007, 03:43 PM
If it is dissolved residue from limewater, it won't hurt anything. :)

plyle02
02/20/2007, 11:45 PM
Good to know Randy, again I appreciate all your help and quick responses.....
Perry

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/21/2007, 06:43 AM
You're welcome

Happy Reefing. :)