PDA

View Full Version : Dusty water

Gordonious
02/19/2007, 03:44 PM
I've been trying to get the dust to settle for a while now with setting up my new 75g and it just isn't clearing up as quickly as I would like. Is dilution the only solution to this pollution?

What I've done to try to conserve water is to put the sand in a tank with lots of water and then stirred it up to get the lose stuff up in the water column. Let it settle for a minute and then siphoned the water out into a bucket. I put the bucket on some cinder blocks and let it settle for a couple of hours then siphoned the clear water back into the tank and flushed the 1/2" of water or so at the bottom that was super murky. This is time consuming though.

Would setting up a skimmer prove useful? I haven’t been able to fill the tank high enough to set up a sump or any HOB so that hasn't been done yet, but perhaps I will attach one tonight. I know a lot of people get massive amounts of skimage when they first set up there tanks, but know this also could be due to curing LR and funky water parameters.

What are your ideas?

Jon

kaptken
02/20/2007, 09:17 PM
don't worry about it. it will settle as the fine suspended particles get coated in bacteria and clump together to form your bio filter.