PDA

View Full Version : Worried about adding delecate Species...

friendtothefish
02/19/2007, 06:42 PM
Hello All,

So my 90 Gal AGA has been up an running great for 5 months now. I want to start adding some more delicate species like shrimps, nudi's and some smaller fish (geometric hawks and clown gobies).

I currently have 8 fish:
A pair of Maroon clowns.
Engeneer Goby
Diamond Goby
Firefish
Scissortail
2 blue/green chromis

So what I am worried about is my other fish killing them. I have seen other tanks with all these species together. But I think it has a lot to do with the order of adding them to the tank. If I add a Clown Goby is my Female Maroon not going to kill it? The Female clown is the one I am worried about most. She seems very territorial...

What are your general opinions before I start adding some of these more delicate species?

Friend

newreef25
02/19/2007, 06:47 PM
Im pretty sure adding shrimp and the hawks would be fine seeing that you have a 90 gallon.

suasponte2/75
02/20/2007, 12:24 AM
I would stay away from hawks going with the shrimps. You'll end up with a very expensive meal for the hawks eventually. It's typically one or the other.

From what I've heard, maroons can be very territorial, it's very likely that she'll bully any new additions. Since you've added them first any new fish would be rather risky to add...

What I've done in the past with highly territorial fishes is to add my new fishes to the refugium (I have a pretty decent sized refug) first to get them used to the water chemistry and then after about a week turn them loose after lights go out. That way they don't get a double whammy from the get go (chemistry and aggression).

HTHs,

Minh

Im14abeer
02/20/2007, 01:51 AM
suasponte, I was thinking the same thing about the hawks and shrimp, but that hawk stays pretty small. Like less than 2". Probably ok with most shrimp. As for the maroon being territorial, for sure. Friend, you should consider changing the rockwork around just before lights out, then after lights out, new additions can go in. I like the idea of acclimating them in your fuge beforehand too, if it's feasable.

friendtothefish
02/20/2007, 05:50 PM
Yea, I think I will try the Fuge Acclimation. Changing the rock work isn't really an option...

So far some great suggestions!

Thanks,
Friend

Im14abeer
02/21/2007, 01:28 AM
I thought I'd add one more thing, nudibranchs have very specific diets. Before you add that awesome pink and black one, make sure your setup provides what it needs.