PDA

View Full Version : pally vs. Zoa

magdelan
02/19/2007, 10:39 PM
What is the difference between the two??

edwing206
02/20/2007, 01:58 PM
most of all size.

SAPseven
02/20/2007, 05:42 PM
the way they grow , size

theres a thread about this .. u should search it .

gflat65
02/20/2007, 06:20 PM
The definitive characteristic (as I understand it) that separates the two is whether ot not they take sand into their coenenchyme (stalks/mats, etc.). If they take sand and other grit materials, they are Palythoa sp. If they do not, they are Zoanthus sp. (or potentially one of the other critters that fall into the zoa category). Size doesn't matter at all, but Paly's tend to be larger than the typical Zoathus (the typical zoa being maybe eraser or jumbo eraser head size, while a typicaly paly may be a dime's diameter). PE's (PPE's, RPE's, GPE's, etc.) are Zoanthus gigantus and they are larger than most Paly's...

ct_vol
02/20/2007, 06:30 PM
Take sand into their mat/stalk eh??? Like eat it??? Hmmm... I've got a new one you'd like Mr. G... :D Oh, and I meant to PM you... Not sure if I did or not, but I got that Tanaka CD... Thanks!!!!! ;)

magdelan
02/21/2007, 01:30 AM
Gflat- That was a very helpful explanation. I thank you!!!

gflat65
02/21/2007, 03:17 PM
Well, the absorption of grit material into the stalk isn't completely clear to me. They say that you don;t have to have a sand bed for the uptake to occur, so it sounds like they like to pull in anythign they can find. I'd love to see your new one, Randy. Glad you got the CD. It has some of the most incredible wrasse shots I've seen.

magdelan-no problem. My info originally comes from James Reimer. he is a zoa researcher out of Okinawa, I believe. he classified PE's as Z. gigantus and provided some more info to us ignorant people, so i feel like I should spread it around. I used to alwasy separate them by size and appearance, using Protopaly for the larger ones. He turned my world upside down when he published that info and gave us more tips later in this forum;). I've gotten over being wrong and am moving on:D.