PDA

View Full Version : 12 gal nano cube

diveilm
02/20/2007, 12:26 AM
Im looking to buy a 12 gal nano cube and just wondering what I should buy along with the kit(sand, rock etc..) it will be a FOWLR tank. Thanks for any suggestions.

Bri Guy
02/20/2007, 11:55 AM
[welcome]
Im helping a friend set up a 20l reef tank, heres what we have so far....

Lighting - 130w PC, we are keeping corals so more lighting is needed for ours.
Skimmer - Seaclone 100
Tank - 20L AGA
Substrate - 20lbs finely crushed coral
Powerhead - MJ 400 for flow
Salt - 50g mix for now
Hydrometer - cheap plastic floater (better than nothing)
Test Kits - for FOWLR get (at least) Ammonia, nitrAte, nitrIte, and pH
Heater - sutable for size of tank
Thermonoter - got the digi coralife $5 at Fosters and smith
Live rock - 20lbs
Stand - she had one

thats the basics, here are more things you need or make life easier...
Turkey baster (the best toy you can buy for a fish tank :)), tweezers, Timers (for lights), Powerstrip, Fish food, Magfloat, buckets + hoses (Water changes), and last but not least PATIENTS

good luck

sir_dudeguy
02/20/2007, 01:50 PM
first thing i'll say is that if you know that you're only gonna do a FOWLR and not reef, then i dont see any point in paying a lot of money for the lights...which is one of the main costs of the nano cubes, or biocubes, or all of those. It would be cheaper to get a 10g tank (only a couple gallons less, or you could try finding a 15 or something...dont think they make 12's) and just use a cheap light and buy everything seperately.

Second thing, on such a small tank and the fact that its not even gonna be a reef, i personally wouldnt worry about a skimmer. It wont hurt, but its really not needed for what you're doing.

But i'd say 20lbs of dry sand (dont get suckered into buying live sand cuz its more than likely not live, and it all turns live in the end anyways), at least 12 pounds of Live rock, a heater...i'd say 100w or bigger. couple small powerheads, digital thermometer. Not a whole lot to fowlr tanks.