PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Deadly?

tags
02/20/2007, 09:52 AM
I am having a problem keeping fish alive in a fish only aquarium and I have a question about a possible cause because I have checked off just about everything else I can think of. The sump is in the basement where there is construction still going on. The guys doing the goldleafing for the cabinets set up shop right next to the sump and everything is covered in goldleaf bits. I asked them what it was and they said it was aluminum. There is plenty of it that has been getting into the system. Do you think this could cause an issue with the fish? I do run carbon and polyfilters, but I am not sure if or how toxic aluminum is and what happens when it is in saltwater. Everything else with this tank checks out (as far as what I can see and test for) so I am running low on possible issues. I am a little baffled with the cause to my problem and wasn't sure if it makes sense (Chemically) that the aluminum/goldleafing is causing a problem. Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/20/2007, 11:17 AM
[welcome]

Did the fish problem start when he started working?

Aluminum is not usually that toxic to fish that I've heard of, but it may contain things other than aluminum too.

I discuss aluminum here:

Aluminum and aluminum-based phosphate binders
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/july2003/chem.htm

tags
02/20/2007, 01:59 PM
Thanks for responding.....

The goldleafing was going on most of the time, but I atrributed the early problems torwards the tanks cycle completing (it wasn't until weeks after all the water parameters became normal that I thought there might be something else wrong). I guess there are components that go into the goldleafing that could be causing the problem. The other strange thing is that there is no algae, diatom or anything growing in the tank. I have never seen a tank this clean 4 months after it has been set up. Not one diatom, or speck of algae on the glass. I haven't even used a mag float AT ALL!! Sounds great, other than the livestock issue. There are plenty of organics, with the dead fish and all, and there is an HQI Pendant and natural light so I think maybe if there is something leaching from the goldeaf it is killing off any algae as well as the fish. Thanks for any other thoughts.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/20/2007, 03:47 PM
Are you using tap water?

tags
02/20/2007, 06:46 PM
yes I am using tap water, but it is all filtered through a Kold Steril unit, including the top off water. This is a customer's aquarium and everything used was top of the line. I didn't use an RO as it is an artificial reef and I didn't think it was worth the hassle.

atvdave
02/20/2007, 07:24 PM
One other thing to look at is.

Ask them if they are using any silicone, and if so what type?

I once worked at a paint factory where we had a new state of the art test lab built. After the lab techs moved in they couldn't figure out why there test batches where going bad. They traced it back to the silicone used when they built the new building.

After that the company put out a memo... No silicone is allowed on the premises.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/21/2007, 06:14 AM
FWIW, I'm not a fan of the kold steril device, but I don't expect it has caused these problems.

Paul B
02/21/2007, 06:28 AM
So Randy, this is bad?
:lol: http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/13094Bud_can_and_copperband.jpg

Ok so it's coated with fiberglass resin. I really should get that thing out of there soon :smokin:

tags
02/21/2007, 08:40 AM
Thanks everyone for all the input. I will just keep trying to figure this out. I am done adding any fish until they clean up the goldleafing just to be safe as I don't think they will coat the stray goldleaf bits in resin before they reach the sump;)

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/22/2007, 06:35 AM
:lol:

That's a funny one, Paul. You certainly have an unusual aquascaping technique. :D

Good luck, Tags. :)

Paul B
02/22/2007, 09:06 AM
I figure if I collect it under water it is natural... well kind of...
somewhat

the other tang
02/22/2007, 10:55 AM
Paul, I grew up in KY and moved to LA. It's hard to make me say" damn thats redneck" but that did it. Though I have to admit I like it. Great idea.

Paul B
02/22/2007, 11:27 AM
The other tang, I don't drink the stuff, I just aquascape with it. :lol: