PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock added

ffmd21
02/20/2007, 11:35 AM
I am three weeks into my new tank setup and about five days ago I added my live rock. yesterday i noticed two things in my tank. One alge growth on the sideds of the tank and on my live sand, is this normal? Should I be concerned about this. The sides of the tank were easily cleaned with a srubber but it seemed to appear very quickly. The second thing I noticed was that there are a bunch of little critters running around and in and out of the holes in the rock. They look like liitle fleas or something. I know there is suppose to be life in the rock, is "Live Rock" but I was not expecting to see "bugs"!! Again is this all normal or is this something I need to adress. Thanks

taillonjohn
02/20/2007, 11:48 AM
Everything seems normal. Your tank is cycling, so you will go through various algae blooms until your tank is done cycling. the "bugs" are amphipods, copods, etc.... most are harmless in your tank. There is a lot of info on these "bugs" on reefcentral. Sounds like your tank is doing well though

BodiBuilt
02/20/2007, 11:49 AM
The algae growth is brown diatom's-completly normal in the early stage's of a new set up. The little critter's you see are amphipod's,copepod's,and possible baby peppermint or skunk shrimp...all beneficial to your new system.The algae bloom's will pass given time,and if you do not introduce any predator's to soon your population of little critter's will explode! (good thing)

reeftanker04
02/20/2007, 12:06 PM
Just the normal process, no worries there.