PDA

View Full Version : Do QT tanks cycle

bohlke
02/20/2007, 11:37 AM
Just curious if I need to worry about this. My plan is to setup the QT with water from my tank. I will not have any sand or rock in the QT, I plan to run GAC on it while I inspect the new items in destine for the main tank. How long do you usually QT corals and LR before putting it in the main tank?

TheVillageIdiot
02/20/2007, 11:59 AM
I think a lot of folks will put a sponge or something to host beneficial bacteria in their sump and allow it to build up bacteria. You then put this in your QT tank when you have a fish. Don't neglect water changes and obviously if you apply certain medications that kill bacteria, the sponge will become useless right quick! :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/20/2007, 03:37 PM
Yes, you need to add something to facilitate the breakdown of ammonia. Live sand, rock, filter sponge, etc.

I never QT corals or rock, and few people do (unless they are curing the rock). people mostly only QT fish. :)

Mike O'Brien
02/20/2007, 03:43 PM
Wow, I'm surprised you don't use a QT Randy. I've been lucky through the years with fish, but I have introduced redbugs from not QT'ing corals. I have one now. LOL

bohlke
02/20/2007, 04:02 PM
After my last flatworm disaster everything will get time in the QT. Most likely some of it will be treated before going into the main tank. Does active carbon help or hurt? Long term I plan to have a skimmer on the qt tank (its going to be a qt/coral prop tank).

bohlke
02/20/2007, 08:07 PM
Ok I got some foam, how long does it need to collect bacteria in the sump before it is useful?

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/21/2007, 06:18 AM
Wow, I'm surprised you don't use a QT Randy. I've been lucky through the years with fish, but I have introduced redbugs from not QT'ing corals. I have one now. LOL

I don't add new SPS corals often, a nd when I do, I get them from a guy who does not have red bugs. :)

Does active carbon help or hurt?

In a qt tank it may help, it won't hurt.

Foam will take, say 2-3 weeks to collect adequate bacteria.

bohlke
02/21/2007, 11:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9295670#post9295670 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley

I don't add new SPS corals often, a nd when I do, I get them from a guy who does not have red bugs. :)

Does active carbon help or hurt?

In a qt tank it may help, it won't hurt.

Foam will take, say 2-3 weeks to collect adequate bacteria.

Just to be clear even with water from my tank the QT wont be ready for 2-3 weeks because the foam wont be stocked with enough bacteria (while in the sump) right?

Hobster
02/21/2007, 12:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9297686#post9297686 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bohlke
Just to be clear even with water from my tank the QT wont be ready for 2-3 weeks because the foam wont be stocked with enough bacteria (while in the sump) right?

Yes. What some folks do is use those foam filters with airstone They are very inexpensive and have a lot of surface area for bacteria to colonize. Just leave it in your sump or main tank till you need it. You could also use a AquaClear hang on with the ceramic or a sponge. You need something to run the water through the sponge or other media.

bohlke
02/21/2007, 01:37 PM
I got a hydro-sponge filter and I have it on the return from the fuge (50GPH), in the QT it will be connected to a MJ400.