PDA

View Full Version : Melting Zenia??

atlfishes
02/20/2007, 04:26 PM
Has anyone found out why zenia just melts away? I'm assuming something in my tank is off, but can't put my finger on it.

Zenia has been in the tank for over 6 months, doing well and growing and then over the last 2 weeks is withering away.

Estabilished tank over a year, with no new addtions or changes. All water parameters are normal, with the exception of low calcium 350 and magnesium is too low 1150. I'm working on getting those up.

Thanks

polyppetey
02/20/2007, 08:20 PM
I've reversed my xenia decline after losing about 90% of it.
I've been struggling with low alk and high calcium (even though I do not dose calcium) I've been doing bigger water changes lately and using the 2 part kent just the buffer part though. I did also change out my lights for new ones as the old were @10 months old (i have CF lights). Otherwise my parameters are all in order.

sir_dudeguy
02/20/2007, 11:41 PM
what is your nitrates at?

wantsalotta
02/22/2007, 03:48 PM
What is your emp? they will not thrive much over 81 degrees, and will melt 2 or 3 degrees higher than this.

atlfishes
02/22/2007, 03:52 PM
Nitrates were 5
Temp is 78/79

Magnesium and Calcium are the only things that are out of line.

wantsalotta
02/22/2007, 03:57 PM
I have read that Iodine/Iodide may play a big part in thier survival. Xenia are somewhat of a mystery to science even. We do not know what drives them to pulse, or stop pulsing. some tanks keep them well, some people can not keep them I have two nanocubes, with very similar stocking levels fed by the same person, in the same room, not near a window. Same maintenence schedule. One grows xenia like weeds, the other does not keep any variety alive.

sambo123
02/22/2007, 05:46 PM
I have heard they will grow well with a very small amount of phosphate in the water, no sure if its true though

might explain why they grow so good in small, low filtered tanks such as a nanocube

iglowce
02/23/2007, 04:27 PM
from what i know they dont like bright light from MH .. and not too much direct flow.. make sure u put them at the right spot and they'll grow more than you can ever ask for =]