PDA

View Full Version : How many Soft Corals can be added at one time?

Tupps11
02/21/2007, 01:50 AM
Well, i have a new 137 gallon tank. I was just curious as to how many soft corals i can add at any one time. The reason i ask is because my tank is currently cycling. Once the cycle is complete, i plan on adding corals. I was hoping to do this gradually like 99% of saltwater enthusiasts, but unfortunately, my lfs in Beirut does not get shipments that often (due to the recent instability in the country). The owner of the lfs is complaining that there is no longer a profitable market, and every time he brings in new stock, he gets stuck with it due to the length of time it takes to sell it all.

Anyways, i was thinking of telling him to sell me an entire shipment. Or maybe at least half of one. That way i can encourage him to place an order and finally start putting things in my new tank. What do you guys think?

benya29
02/21/2007, 07:50 AM
normally i would say put alot of corals in at once because unlike fish...corals dont produce waste so it shouldnt hav a huge spike in the ammonia....but thats in a fully established tank to put to many corals in directly after the cycle might cause a huge spike....also (my guess) is that you are waiting after the cycle to add the trace elements strontium and iodine that most soft corals need...if you feed them enough you can get away without a strong light but elements u need i would say add them in slowly in the begining then after a month or 2 start doing bigger shipments...and order ofline...there r so many great websites were u can c the exact piece ur buying